Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Dog days

So we are in the midst of trying to get a dog! We definitely want a rescue dog, but I'm finding the application process really demoralizing. I totally understand that they want their dogs to get the best possible home, but my oversensitive self just feels judged and inadequate from filling in forms.

Add to that the fact that I sent the first application over the holiday period, and the rescue in question runs on volunteers, not full time staff, so it's taking aaages to hear back. Trying to convince myself that it's because they're busy, not because they hate me and don't think I deserve to have a dog.

Anyway, hopefully one of these applications pays off, our yard is just screaming out for a dog to run around in it. It'll be so good for the boys, too, and I could definitely use the motivation to exercise. PUPPY COME HOME TO MEEEE!

Ahem. I did find some pups on gumtree that looked cool, but the seller turned out to be a pet shop, and a dodgy-looking one at that. We'd probably have an easier time getting a grown up dog from a shelter, but most of the ones I've seen state that they'd be okay with older children, but not littlies like ours. I'm sure it's mostly a legal thing, if they say a dog is good with kids, then they'd have to guarantee it, and no one can guarantee that, ever.


Anyway anyway anyway, my rant is over. We had a little dinner for Felix's birthday, and I made a vegan cake again - it was okay, but not as good as last year's. I think I used applesauce in that one, it made it super rich and moist, which was amazing! Felix had a good birthday, got lots of presents and got to play with Henry for most of the day, which is pretty much his favourite. Today he didn't want to go down for his nap, he kept repeating, 'No! Play Henry, Henry play! No!' Eventually I managed to find the right way to tell him that he could play AFTER his nap, which was an acceptable compromise.

Henry had a swimming lesson yesterday with his new teacher, and had a bit of a meltdown because there was stuff that he couldn't do perfectly on the first try. Is this kid my son, or what? Poor dude, he puts so much pressure on himself, and I can't figure out how to make him believe that he doesn't have to be perfect all the time. I mean, I lived it, but I can't remember how I finally let go of that perfectionist streak... Anyone with ideas, please chime in!

And because I know better than to try to make a post without a photo, here's us, right now!
Handsome crew, 2016

2 comments:

Maja said...

I don't know how you can curb that perfectionish streak. I didn't like anything I wasn't good at on the first try either. I guess you have to make them suffer through practice and then when they get better they realise that they CAN get better at something with time and practice. Or just let them work it out on their own somehow.

northern musings said...

need a photo of the dog! and congrats on your four legged fur buddy