Thursday, November 13, 2014

Bittersweet dogless days...

Well, it looks like we may have accidentally given away our dog ahead of schedule. I have been looking into how we could ship her over with us, and while totally doable, it's also expensive and full of red tape.


So Ross was talking to a guy at work a week or two ago, and the guy asked how the moving process was coming along. I'd been feeling overwhelmed by the Nina moving, so Ross said not great, then jokingly asked if the guy wanted a dog. And as it turns out, he totally does.


So on Saturday we went round there with Nina so they could meet her, and the guy could surprise his wife with the idea that they could maybe have this dog if they wanted her. And then through a series of misunderstandings, they somehow got the impression that Nina would be staying for a week to see how she fit in with their family. Which was always going to be the plan, we just expected to do it at a later date, but we figured why not give it a try? I think it's been going well - they haven't returned her yet, anyway - so we'll see how they're feeling at the end of the week.


Then Ross and I were discussing it, and if Nina does settle in there over the next few days, it seems a bit cruel and confusing if we then bring her back here, then kick her out again in a few months' time. So we decided that if they're all happy with the situation, she can probably just move over there now.

Life with Nina is totally weird and a bit sad - the first couple of days were bizarre, we kept holding the door open for her when we went outside and waiting for her to bark whenever someone knocked on the door. Henry dropped a bit of toast on the ground yesterday, and absentmindedly called her to come get it. Then he paused, looked at me, looked at the toast and said 'Mummy, you're going to have to sweep that up.'


Haha, on that note, I was a little bit excited to not have to deal with the endless mountains of dog hair, but it's basically just been replaced by stray cheerios and other miscellaneous food. Nina always did a fantastic job of tracking down every single morsel and dealing with it. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Anyway, even though we're missing Nina, I think we're doing the right thing. The trip would be long and stressful for her, and this family has older kids who are super excited about playing with her and taking her out for walks. Yay for good decisions, boo for how much we're all going to miss her.


6 comments:

xb í Skagafjörð said...

I just teared up.... what am I going to be like when you go????
Thanks so much for all you are doing for mum too.... again what am I going to do when your gone????
I am sure I will cope but it is going to be a big loss for us... but I get it and I shouldn´t be selfish... love you lots - and where is Nina??? just so I know...

KH said...

Aw, Nina! It's for the best, but man, she's such a top dog.

Anonymous said...

So so hard to do, but good on you for being so brave. I know the kids who are getting her and they are just lovely. There's a gran too, she will adore and spoil Nína . Now all those other things like packing, culling stuff. Enjoy and don't stress! Can't wait to get you here. Oodles of love and hugs to you guys. Mum

olga said...

So sad, I know! Sigga, she's gone to live with Anja and Janusz, they're Polish and live on Skagfirdingabraut. I keep seeing her almost every time I drive past to get Henry from leikskoli! You'll see her around.

K, I totally thought of you and that you'd be disappointed to not see her. It all just happened so fast...

Yeah, time to move onto the next thing, Mum - fixing up the house so it sells! Might have to get my handyman game on!
xx

Anja said...

Aww, Nina, she made her way into many hearts!! What a great dog and how wonderful that even more people will have the pleasure of having her in their lives now. xx

Maja said...

Aw I'm tearing up too! So sad, but good that she will be loved.