Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Return to Oz...

So dudes, we have made a big decision - we are going to move back to Australia next year!

We always said we'd stay for five years and then look at what we wanted to do, and it turns out that what we want is to go back home for a while. It should probably have been a clue to me that we were still calling it 'home' after so many years. Aaaand now I have that song in my head. I bet you do, too.

It's a pretty hard decision; we're definitely feeling like no matter where we go, we'll be missing someone. Anyway, we've only just decided, so now we're looking at the logistics of it - man I hate logistics. Shipping our gear (how much of it, though?), selling our house, finding a new house, moving the dog (or not?). We do have a whole year to try and sort it out, so I'm trying to think of it in the tiniest possible steps, so it actually feels achievable.

I'm super excited about seeing all our friends and family again, and I think it'll be easier for Henry and Felix socially, too. Amma has made me promise that we'll speak some Icelandic at home to try to keep him somewhat fluent - ah, that old chestnut. We'll see how it goes!

And it's only a week until Santorini, so I should probably do some organising and packing for that soon! I'm hoping the weather is good, the summer here has been pretty hit and miss, and we're all craving some sunshine. It also recently occurred to us that if that volcano erupts, we could be utterly screwed, but we're hoping for the best. If the worst comes to the worst, there's a ferry to Denmark followed by about 30 hours of driving... But it probably won't come to that.

Henry and I were talking about Santorini, and I had explained to him that Aunty Eva was getting married.
H: Yep, we're going because Aunty Eva is getting married from Uncle John!
Me: Haha, no, she's getting married TO Uncle John.
H (wide eyed but kind of excited, mind blown): ... TWO UNCLE JOHNS?!
Love that guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's such wonderful news for your Perth family can wait xo
Maria Tufilli

Anonymous said...

It is the best news ever!!! Mum