Sunday, January 12, 2014

Hello 2014 - you are good!

Well well well, Felix is here!



I had a midwife's appointment on Friday the 3rd of January, and she said that she thought it was pretty unlikely that I'd have the baby anytime soon (my due date was today!)... Then Saturday morning, I started getting regular contractions, so we ended up heading to Akureyri around lunchtime - trying to take advantage of every single hour of daylight on offer.

The drive was pretty hairy, there was a blizzard at the highest point on the road, so for about 20 minutes we drove on a white road, surrounded by white fields and cliffs, the sky was completely whited out and we could see about two metres ahead of us. Ross drove pretty slowly and carefully for that stretch, and we made it through fine. I took a video, but you can picture it for yourself by looking at a blank sheet of paper.

Because we'd left so early, I was still in the pretty early stages when we arrived. They let us hang out in the lounge for a little while, then just checked us in - there was no way we were going to drive back over the mountain that night, and they had lots of space anyway.

Luckily, things kept progressing, so we watched some terrible TV and ate some dinner while we waited. And then there was the whole labour part of the evening - I had hoped that it would be easier the second time around, but I was trying not to get too set on the idea. And yay pessimism, because it turned out that Felix was in the same position as Henry was; I believe the technical term is 'skewiff'* So, many hours and ALL the drugs** later, Felix was born at 4.16am on Sunday morning, 54cm long and weighing 4.25 kg (over 9 pounds, and 17 marks in Icelandic baby measuring units***).

* That's not the technical term at all.
** And not just drugs! I also tried acupuncture - it felt super effective for exactly one contraction. On the plus side, that's one less contraction that I had to deal with... I also had laughing gas, which was pretty nice. And a bonus of the gas mask was that it made me less self conscious about swearing loudly, which can have pain relieving effects, yes? At the time, I hadn't really decided whether or not I was going to get an epidural, but I did, and it was heavenly. I figured this is probably going to be our last baby, so I decided to treat myself!
*** Why so many baby measuring units? Weird!

So yeah, I'm pretty pleased that that part of it is over. We stayed in the hospital until Monday lunchtime, again trying to take advantage of all the daylight. Luckily the weather was a lot better on the way home, so we had a relatively easy trip (says the lady who didn't have to drive, and also managed to catch up on most of the missed sleep from the weekend.) Henry had stayed at Vicki's Sunday night, so he came home after his nap to find Felix already home with us! He gave the funniest deep chuckley laugh, and told us that he was cute. It was the best.

This week has been lovely. Ross is off for a month, so we've just been hanging out at home and, dare I say it, relaxing? Henry was a pretty easy baby, so I figured we were due for a screamy one, but Felix has been a really chilled out dude so far. He sleeps so much! I had forgotten how much time newborns spend sleeping. I think it also makes it easier that we're not as worried about every little thing,
Everything just feels like it's going smoothly... Felix is feeding well, Henry's not too jealous, and I feel like my recovery time was a lot shorter this time around. POSSIBLE TMI: I think I lost quite a lot of blood when Henry was born, so I felt really tired and anaemic for a while after - you can actually see the grey tinge to my skin in a few of the photos. This time I feel mostly great - still a bit tired, but bearably so.

What else? Oh yeah, having said that everything is way easier this time, today was a bit tricky because Henry picked up the stomach bug that's been going around... Poor Ross got up with him at 3am. I felt somewhat guilty about that, but when it comes down to it, I am the source of food for Mr. Tiny, so it made more sense for me to look after him while Ross looked after Mr. Slightly Bigger But Still Quite Small. So far, the rest of us seem to have missed out on the bug (touch wood), so hopefully Ross can catch up on sleep tonight and we'll all be fine tomorrow!

I think that's all for now, I have many stories of cuteness and some photos to share, but I should also try to post this before Felix grows up much more. All is well here, hope you guys are having an equally awesome year so far!

2 comments:

Gil Liane said...

I hope you all woke up healthy this morning. Kudos to Ross for the skilful driving. And kudos to you for the birth part! So glad you are all home and well. Yeah, anaemia is exhausting. Henry and Felix are adorable together, so happy for you guys, am glad Felix is sleeping well too :) x

Maja said...

I didn't know Henry was skewiff in the womb. Bummer that Felix was too, but what can you do. Did you not have an epidural the first time? It really is heavenly after suffering through contractions for many hours.

So great that Felix is chilled out and happy. It is amazing how much they sleep in the first month. Pretty awesome though.

xoxox