Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Time flies...

Haha, our current division of labour seems to be: I sit around after work and write draft blog posts and look at far too many internets, while Ross takes care of that parenting business (unless he's doing overtime, in which case I have to be the responsible adult. Boo). Yesterday I wrote half a draft during bathtime, tonight Ross is putting Henry down to sleep so maybe I'll manage to finish and post this before he comes down!

So anyway, what's going on? It is December, so I'm counting down the days until I stop working! I originally said that I could probably stay on until the 20th, but I'm having my doubts as to whether I'll last that long. The last week has really worn me out, so even when I think I'm taking it easy, I'm still wiped by the end of the day. Plus I'm getting some super fun pain in my hips when I stand up, or sit down, or move, or sit still for too long. It's not very awesome, and I am yet again reminded of how lucky I am to be able bodied for most of the time. Pregnancy: teaching me to check my privilege since 2011.

 Had a pretty fun/intense/eventful day today. The weather was wretched; it had been snowing all night and was still blizzarding this morning, so there was heaps of snow everywhere. As a result, of course I managed to get the car bogged while I was dropping Henry off at leikskoli. It was basically peak drop off time, so I figured I'd manage to get out one way or another, but I tried by myself for a little while, which was super frustrating. I started to get upset, then didn't want to get out and ask for help until I'd calmed down, which was even more frustrating, and so on and so forth with me getting myself alllll worked up about it...
It ended with a random guy just walking up and asking if I needed a hand, and I somehow managed to say yes through the (by then) heaving sobs. He hopped in and tried to rock the car back and forth a bit, then another guy came up and just gave the car a little shove, and they got it out. No problem, and not a big deal at all - I guess it's a pretty commonplace occurrence here, and if you're able to help out, why wouldn't you? It took them two minutes, tops. I felt a bit silly for getting so upset about it, but I think it was just the feeling of absolute helplessness more than anything else. Bummer.

Anyway, after I went home and calmed down a bit, I picked Ross up and we headed to the hospital for an ultrasound and midwife's appointment. All was well with the ultrasound, except that Felix (ha! I just realised he's Felix the fetus - that sounds comical to me) had his face all smushed up against the placenta, so we couldn't really get any halfway decent photos. I wasn't too fussed, it's not that long til we can see him in person.
The only somewhat remarkable thing was that according to the torso measurement, the doctor estimated that he'll be a pretty big baby. But he did mention that the measurement could have been skewed by the way Felix was facing... Also they told me Henry would be little, and he turned out to be above average, so who knows, really? Again, we'll find out soon enough.

The midwife appointment was good, too. I mentioned the hip pain and tiredness and stuff (partly at Ross' prompting, I didn't want to feel like a whinger), and she was very understanding and ready to write me a doctor's certificate for whenever. So I'm thinking that I'll probably work a week more, then I'll be a month off the due date, so screw it, it's time for a holiday. I'm definitely picking up on the attitude that a lot of Icelanders seem to have, wherein you work until you just can't anymore. And I sometimes get pretty persuaded that that's the way it should be, and I am just a big baby for not feeling up to it.
But then I think about it, and yeah, in theory I won't be at work for the next year, but the first couple of months of having a newborn (at least!) are a pretty tough slog. And maybe I am a big wuss, but I don't have a problem with that, when it comes down to it. So whatevs, Icelandic superheroes, you can have all the glory of working really hard all the time, I will just be over here hanging out and looking after myself.

The other thing is I keep looking for the perfect time to quit, like when there's nothing going on, but there's always something. We were really busy getting ready for the open day (which was yesterday), so I figured I could take a day off or something after that. But then boss lady had to cover for someone else on a trip to Akureyri today, so I didn't want to leave them shorthanded. So I figured it could wait til next week, but then another girl has to take three days off from Monday to Wednesday. So I thought maybe Thursday, but then boss lady has to take the day and go to a meeting in Akureyri again, so maybe the week after?
 Anyway, long story short, I have somehow convinced myself that I'm indispensable for the foreseeable future, but that there will come a time when it will be fine and no problem and not at all inconvenient for anyone. Which is bollocks, especially when I write it out like that. So there, take that, brain.

Whew, I have clearly been dwelling on all this leave business far too much! I'm obviously feeling quite guilty about it all, given how much justification I think it needs. Enough! Going to talk to boss lady tomorrow - hooray for entirely deserved time off!

2 comments:

Anna said...

Ha ha ha, he's all smushed? What a dork, I can't wait to meet him.

Glad you are possibly getting off earlier and you are taking care of yourself. Gotta do it yo!

Maja said...

Aw, that is hard work you're doing, emotionally (I think) as well as physically (to a point) and if you're in pain you should feel completely justified taking some extra time. I finished working six weeks before Olivia and it was not a moment too soon, I tell you, though most of my discomfort was from the nausea before that.

Have a rest, you totally deserve it. Pregnancy is the hardest thing your body will ever do.

So nice to read posts from you. I was thinking about emailing you a few weeks ago but then forgot about it. It's nice to keep in touch (knowledge or something) through blogging. And reading your posts helps motivate me to post!