Thursday, November 28, 2013

Sickie...

Hey I am thinking maybe I can bash out a quick post now and again while Ross is putting Henry to bed. Good idea, yes/yes?


Henry and I stayed home sick today. He has had a bit of a terrible cold lately, just heaps and heaps of coughing at all hours of the day and night. He even threw up the other night because he was coughing so hard, poor little man. Added to that is a bit of a rash on his chin, and he's also been rubbing his ears, which always makes me paranoid. So I decided to stay home today and take him to the doctor's.

He wasn't super keen on the idea, and as we were walking into the office he kept assuring me that he wasn't going to the doctor's. So of course I lied and said that I was going, and he was just keeping me company. Then we got inside and he crawled under the table and said he was busy fixing things, so he was too busy to come out. Poor dude.

He got a bit upset when we finally coaxed him out, and then refused to let the doc look at his chin. Just nope. Then I did Parenting (tm)*, and made him think we were both too stupid to know where his chin was. I got his elbow out, and was like 'yeah, here's your chin', and he was all smug and 'no it isn't! That's my elbow!' The doctor played along and he eventually got the chance to be a smart ass and show us his chin. Yay for every single tantrum that we somehow manage to avoid.

Then while she was checking his ears, he was all chipper and went on about how it wasn't scary at all, and it didn't hurt, and he informed me that he was going to tell Felix all about how it isn't scary to go to the doctor. Oh the cute, it hurts sometimes.

* This script is almost verbatim from this book, which I bought a while ago on Kindle. It does come off as kind of patronizing a lot of the time, and I'm not really all in with the toddler-ese business, but a lot of it is pretty fantastic and helpful for averting tantrums - for Henry, anyway.

So, long story short, Henry is all healthy and stuff, the cough will eventually go away on its own, and we had a nice afternoon nap on the couch together. Now Ross is back, so it's time to watch some QI and have some belly laughs before bed.

1 comment:

Maja said...

Aw, so cute! I had to take Olivia to the doc the other day to get her 18 month vaccination and I thought she might be good because we were watching Daniel Tiger in the morning and he went to the doctor. Olivia cried at everything the doctor did (checking ears, heart, throat, temperature etc) but didn't cry for long after the needle.

Jason is great at that parenting thing you described, I need more practice!