Saturday, August 17, 2013

Baby belly!

So folks, now that I'm pretty pregnant, I have finally taken the first proper photo of my torso/fetus construction area. I had proper plans for taking weekly photos and updates of my belly, but apparently I am just not that person. But better late than never. Wanna see?


Bonus: Taking self portraits in the mirror means I don't have to figure out what I'm going to do with my face.

So anyway, I'm still feeling pretty good, kind of exhausted still but I think that's more to do with our busy schedules than pregnancy. Eh, maybe it's fifty-fifty.
Ross has spent the past couple of weeks working up on the roof for 12 hours a day, since that will help cut down on labour costs. I think he's enjoying the learning experience, but it is definitely a lot of work.
I've been back at work and then looking after Henry and feeding Ross and his builder friends - one guy was getting paid, but Ross' friend Gerry has been helping out just because he is awesome. It's the least I can do to feed him occasionally.

The roof is now just about done, Ross has been finishing off some odds and ends, and there's only a bit left to do. It looks great, and the ceiling no longer leaks in my sewing room, so I'm counting it as a win.

Apart from that? I had my first appointment with the midwife, who turned out to be one of the midwives who was working in Akureyri when I had Henry. Small world. She was also the one who told me, at 9pm that evening, that she was sure I would have the baby within the next hour - before her shift finished at ten. For anyone who can't quite remember, Henry was born at 5.35 the next morning. Boo to false hopes.

But anyway, she is pretty lovely and fun and easy to talk to. She said that I probably should have had an appointment with her before I went to have the ultrasound in Akureyri, but that it all seemed fine regardless. I now have a second ultrasound booked for the 28th of August, at which point we should be able to find out the sex of the baby! I had vague thoughts of leaving it and not finding out, but then I realised that is also not who I am. I. Must. Know!
Also on the list of people I am probably not: people who make fancy cakes in order to have gender reveal parties. I've been thinking about doing it, but I don't know that I could handle the suspense. Plus Ross wants to know straight away... Hmm, maybe I could get him to make the cake? Or maybe not.

We've started talking to Henry about the new baby. I'll have to take some video of his conversations about it, they can be pretty hilarious and adorable. If we ask whether he wants a baby brother or a baby sister, he invariably says baby sister, despite not really knowing what 'sister' means. He's not even really that clear on what exactly constitues a 'baby', as he'll use the term for any kid his age or younger. So that'll be a fun surprise for him, too.

I think he'll be a great older brother. It's kind of amazing how good he is at talking now, and it really lets him express more of his personality. Basically he just continues to be so sweet and lovely, he just seems really thoughtful and nice for a two-year-old. Then again, I'm obviously biased.

He's also been potty training lately, and is doing a really good job. He had a really good run at home, and has been doing pretty well at leikskoli, too. That said, I took him out today and he did not-so-good, but it all balances out, right? He's been getting rewarded with chocolate and stickers and high fives a lot of the time, which is probably not the ideal way to do it, but it works for us, for now. I really don't like the idea of doing negative reinforcement or shaming him about it, so I figure we just tell him he's great when he does a good job, and just deal with the rest as it happens.

NICE AND COSY!

Oh wow do you know what is also awesome good news? Turns out that my aversion to coffee doesn't apply to coffee from an espresso machine. Who knew? I noticed while we were in Germany that when Ross got a black coffee from a cafe, it smelled delicious instead of gross. And then when I came back home, I found out that the bakery has an espresso machine, so I can go buy coffee there every once in a while! YAY! And can you also tell that I just went and got one a little while ago? I don't know what tipped you off...

Anyway dudes, maybe I will leave it there for now. Hope you enjoyed the rambling! Maybe I'll try to be that person who updates regularly instead of in massive blocks every once in a while. Or not.


1 comment:

Andy said...

Hi there, I've nominated you for the Liebster award, which is a way of saying "hey I think you do some pretty cool stuff here and I hope more people check it out". Please head to this post for more details ... http://aholeinthehead.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/i-got-the-leebstaward/