Saturday, June 8, 2013

Two!

This short man had his second birthday today:


I don't love using cliches, but golly gee whiz, how time flies! At the same time it kind of feels like he's been here forever. A more accurate catchphrase would probably be something to do with time being relative and experienced by everyone differently. Or something.

Anyway, we all had a lovely day! I made Henry a cake of which I was (am!) supremely proud. I used a Betty Crocker cake mix, so I can't take (much) credit for the fact that it was delicious, but I decorated it and it turned out pretty great.


 Although I can now see that it was slightly lopsided, probably should have taken the photo from a different angle. Ah well.

Mars bar cars! WINNERS! And thanks, Mum, for sending Tiny Teddies!

Henry had his first taste of uncooked cake batter - he didn't want anything to do with it at first, but then he obviously changed his mind... 


Also featured in this photo: Baby's first black eye. He copped an elbow at leikskoli, now he looks like a tough guy.

Discussing balloons.


We decorated the lounge room and had a little party in the afternoon - Vicki, Sigga, Amma, our friends Gerry and Edda and their son Eddie, and my friend Annika, her husband Gretar and their daughter Hanna Maja.

Ah-ha! My plans for a tiny baby band are coming to fruition...

 Eddie on drums, Hanna Maja and Henry sharing the glockenspiel.

Hanna Maja is in Henry's class at leikskoli, and they seem to be becoming, dare I say it, friends! He honestly seems to be a bit of a loner most of the time, not that that's a bad thing - Ross and I are pretty content with our own company most of the time. I guess it's also understandable given the language barrier at school. But we've had a few playdates together now, and Hanna Maja and Henry seem to get along pretty well.  Yay!

Eddie is a bit younger than the other two, so he's not quite into the 'playing together' scenario just yet. I think he had a pretty good time, though - even if he didn't love the company, he had an awesome time playing the drums.

This photo is mostly to show you my awesome bunting. More pride.
 
Me, admiring and showing off my Henry's cake.

Henry was super well behaved, really good at sharing and playing and generally being great. Then after everyone left, we went to Sigga's for dinner, where he continued to be cute and lovely. We were all preparing for the super tired meltdown when he finally got overwhelmed by the day, but it never came! He just got smiley-cuddly-sleepy, then came home and went straight to bed.

Best. Boy.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the blog. We feel a part of the celebrations with the photos and the skyping. Our Henrty Thor is a beautiful boy inside and out . Thank you Ross and Olga. Lots of love. Mum and dad

Gil Liane said...

The cake looks awesome!! And you're right- impressive bunting! Happy Birthday Henry :)

Anna said...

Party champs, all of you!

Maja said...

Those spam comments are kind of interesting.

Henry seems so grown up but 2 is still so young. I don't think little kids really have friends, they play together if it suits them but real friendship comes later.

Your cake looked awesome and delicious. Good job. I don't know how you find the time!