Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sleep and smiles...

Well hello again. How are you? You look great today - I like what you've done with your hair!

We are all well here - mostly. Henry had a stomach bug this past week, which was UGH and BLECH and awwww, poor little buddy. He was such a sorry sight, all scared and sad and pitiful - it suuuuucked.
Anyway, he's feeling a lot better now, so he stayed at Vicki's last night, which I think was mostly nice for everyone. Ross has been doing a carpentry course for the past two weekends - on top of his 50 hour work weeks. So it was really good for him to get a full night's sleep, and I must say that I enjoyed it too.

Oh yeah, I think in one of my previous posts, I had a big whinge about Henry's sleeping habits, which I then deleted, because it was depressing. But I saved it! Here it is!
Henry has been sleeping pretty badly lately, refusing to go down for his nap and waking up more in the night (except for that one time when he stayed at Vicki's and slept for 12 HOURS STRAIGHT). It's been pretty frustrating, especially for Ross, who was hoping to catch up on a bit of sleep over the holidays.


Anyway, the other night when I was putting him down (at 10.30pm!!) , I decided to google 18 month old milestones. I got to 18 mon- and it auto filled: 18 month old sleep regression. And that search had a whole pile of results, meaning that 18 month olds deciding to not sleep is totally A Thing, as opposed to me being a terrible parent all of a sudden. 


I mean, we had already decided that it could be due to his lack of routine over Christmas, or his current cold (this one involves much mucus and coughing in the middle of the night). Even with those reasons, I still felt pretty bummed out about it, and like there was something (or everything) that I was doing wrong… I didn't realise quite how crappy I was feeling until I felt the giant wave of relief at the google results and anecdotes - it's nice to be told that it's not your fault, and it'll go away with time. Yay for the internets!
The lovely addendum to these paragraphs is that one day in early January, instead of fighting when it was time for his nap, Henry just went to sleep. Then that night, he went to bed at 8.30pm, and slept til 4.30am. It was magical and exciting, and then the following day he did the same thing! AND THE DAY AFTER THAT, TOO. Oh golly gee whiz it was great, hooray for everything!
He's still waking up around four or five-ish in the morning, and then he comes into our bed and sleeps, but I'm okay with that for the time being.

He has definitely been learning and growing heaps lately, he's started to string words together into little sentences - mostly in order to boss me around, but hey, if that's what it takes! He really understands a lot more when we talk to him, too. We've been using this newfound understanding in order to teach him the really important stuff - fist bumps, high fives and cheers.

Plus he now smiles for the camera, so we get this cheesy face:


I can't imagine where he got it from:

2 comments:

Maja said...

Oh uninterrupted sleep I am so missing that. Olivia wakes up A LOT and I've taken to co sleeping all the time because she wakes up less and I don't get fully woken up when she wakes up and I just pop a boob and we go back to sleep.

I don't think it's possible to stop them waking up though I'm wondering if it's all temperature related? I have a feeling when it gets cooler at night here and we don't need aircon to keep it cool inside she might sleep all the way through again. Winter is so far away right now...

olga said...

Thanks, Sigga!

Yeah, Maja, I'm starting to think that no matter what you do, there'll be phases of broken sleep... I do think temperature is a factor, Henry seems pretty toasty most of the time, I think trying to sleep in the Aussie summer would be pretty tricky...
xx