Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Talk the talk...

Mostly just photos for you this time, kids.

The weather has been really nice for the past week or so - although the temperature has been around the zero mark, there wasn't any wind or cloud, so it just felt crisp and lovely.

Henry and Ross and I went to the beach with the dogs and enjoyed the sunshine:
 
Every once in a while I just go 'holy crap, this beautiful majestic place is where I live'.
Kind of blows my mind.

Happy dog

Wading

What else? Henry's still feeling a bit under the weather, I'm taking him to get his ears checked again tomorrow, but hopefully it's all cleared up. He's mostly his cheerful self, and has been enjoying leikskoli for the last couple of days.




I've decided to try to teach Henry how to be careful with the camera instead of banning it completely. He seems to understand that he's not allowed to touch the lens part - he puts one finger on the barrel, looks at you and says 'no' while shaking his head. We're getting there.


Henry self portrait

He's getting amazing at talking; I'm continually surprised by how quickly he's picking things up. It sort of seems like he's gotten the hang of making the sounds he wants, so now it's just a matter of fine tuning the sounds, and then building up vocabulary.

He says the names of colours (my favourite is pur-pup-el), items of clothing (socks, shoes, hat! is the chant for getting ready to go outside), and all sorts of other stuff. He approximates a lot - I tried to get him to say 'takk fyrir mig'*, which he decided sounded basically like 'cock-a-doodle-doo'. Awesome.

* literally 'thanks for me', we say it after dinner

Also, I think he's been learning some Icelandic from leikskoli. I swear I've heard him say both 'komdu' (come on!) and 'sjáðu' (look at this!), which I can imagine him hearing a lot from the other kids. It is really bizarre, and I'm so interested to see how this bilingual thing plays out. It's weird enough thinking about learning your first language, let alone learning your second at the same time. Exciting times.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

I am totally relying on Henry to teach me Icelandic.

Anja said...

Henry is such a clever little bilingual dude! We need to skype again soon so he can say PURPLE HATS to me and all those other new words he's learned.
Much love to you three xxx

Unnur said...

Henry is amazing. I love it when he says "hi" in such an expressive and purposeful way.

Maja said...

Beautiful photos. Iceland really is a spectacular place to be.

What sort of lens do you guys have on your camera? Do you take photos on auto or manual mode?

It's so cool to watch your kid develop and learn things. I think it's a great idea to teach him how to be careful with things instead of banning them, that way if he does get hold of them when you're not looking, he might not trash them.

How cool that he's speaking icelandic as well as english.