Sunday, July 22, 2012

Home is where your rump rests.

Aaaaaand we're back! Here's another couple of photos from the last of the trip:

Oh how the boy loves a good box.

Henry and I went to the zoo with Mum and Dad and Anna, and Anna was in charge of my camera, so some pics actually got taken!



There was a lot of stuff at the zoo that Henry found just as exciting as the animals: other kids, trees, the pool in the elephant tank.


He did get pretty up close and personal with a lion, though.



And my Dad got up close and personal with this guy:


See, we were in the Australian animal area, and Henry dropped his dummy into the Tasmanian Devil enclosure. 'Oh no,' we said, 'I hope the animal doesn't eat it and get sick'. We made some jokes about how I was the smallest and should probably be the one to jump in and get it.
'Ha ha, yes, good one' I said.
I started reading out the sign on the enclosure to Anna. 'A Tasmanian Devil has the jaw strength of a dog four times its siz--- JESUS DAD NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING?'

Ladies and gentlemen, my dad had jumped into the cage. We couldn't see the Tasmanian Devil at the time, although I'm not sure if it retreated before or after Dad jumped in there with it. The fence was about waist height on our side, but the enclosure was sunk down, so although it was easy to get in, it wasn't quite as easy to get out. Luckily Anna was there to help pull him out, and no one else seemed to notice that anything had happened, despite my continued and unhelpful shrieking.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, you can get away with jumping into an animal enclosure at Perth zoo, but you probably shouldn't. Also, my Dad is kind of a badass.

The rest of the zoo visit was uneventful by comparison, Henry looked at some giraffes and birds and elephants, and then we left and had some lunch, then headed home.

Henry and his new friend, Log.

What else did we do in our last week? We caught up with some more family and friends, did a bit of shopping, and I picked up a stomach bug which I then shared with everyone. I got sick on Friday night, had recovered (mostly) by Saturday, and was relieved that Henry didn't seem to have it.

Right up until he got sick on Sunday night. It wasn't too serious, he was still drinking and seemed okay between vomits, but it was still a pretty terrible evening.
We then had to cancel some plans for last visits to avoid getting anyone else sick, including Maja and Olivia, and Ross' Nonna and Nonno. Booo.

The flights home were as easy as such a trip can be, Henry was an absolute champion all the way. We had a day in London as we couldn't get a connecting flight to Iceland, but we spent the whole time napping on and off in the hotel room.
The trip to Iceland was fine (I laugh in the face of a three hour flight!), except we had to wait a while at the airport while they misplaced all the prams that had been on the plane.
It was a bit rough because we felt like we were nearly home, but still had the drive north to look forward to. It was all fine in the end, got home late Friday night and managed to get a pretty good nights' sleep (except Ross, who woke up at 4am despite being totally sleep deprived).

We've just spent the weekend pottering and trying to work our way through some piles of laundry. Normally I would procrastinate about doing that, but Ross is on holiday so he's been really pro-active, and it feels pretty nice to have it all mostly done. It feels great to be home.

2 comments:

Maja said...

Good to hear the trip home was cruisy. Your dad really is a total badass! I love doing washing, as soon as i have enough for a load I'm trying to find time to do it.

Hope you're getting some nice summer weather there.

xxx

Gil Liane said...

I love those moments (like when your dad was trying to climb out again), when you think "Oh man, we are so gonna be on the news!" And that lion was so close- I always think of Aslan when I see one :) Am sorry you & Henry were sick, though.