Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Whoops, I forgot the best one!

The farmer in the dell! It basically deserves its own post, for reasons I shall explain... Now.

Farmer in the dell, 
farmer in the dell,
Heigh ho the dairy-oh, 
Farmer in the dell. 

This part is fine. Next verse!

The farmer takes a wife (and so on, I'm not making this post any longer than it already is...)

Also fine.


The wife takes a child...

Takes? Uh, from where? I hope no one's out looking for him.


The child takes a nurse...

Fair enough. Although why did the wife take a child if she didn't want to look after him herself?


The nurse takes a cow...

I guess to make milk for the baby? Again, the use of 'takes' implies a bit of theft, but fine.


The cow takes a dog...

Um? What? Why?


The dog takes a cat....

?


The cat takes a rat...

??


The rat takes the cheese...

???

And finally, my personal favourite:

THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE,
THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE,
HEIGH HO THE DAIRY-OH,
THE CHEESE STANDS ALONE.

Because of course it does.

4 comments:

Unnur said...

The Grand Old Duke of York is a winner!

Unnur said...

The Grand Old Duke of York is a winner!

Maja said...

You should make your own way better lyrics.

Gil Liane said...

I always liked Oranges & Lemons, because the bells were (apparently) TALKING. Was pretty shocked to hear it was all geographical/historical stuff as a kid, because I was happy with just talking bells & fruit.