Monday, December 12, 2011

I has a happy!

Guess what? My sister Anna arrives in Sauðárkrókur TOMORROW! You have no idea how excited I am (okay, you probably have an inkling, given how many times I've mentioned it...) I'm picking her up from the airport in the morning, and then we are going to hang out. Actually, she'll probably be completely exhausted from all her traveling, but I'm sure we'll hang out once she's well rested.

When I lived in Perth, I had moved out to a place that was pretty far away from my parents' house, so Anna and I mostly had big catch ups every once in a while. We had so much fun, we'd do intensive op-shop trawling over several suburbs, or go see kid's films during the day, when it's not as busy. We'd drive around, and eat ridiculous foods, and sing all the songs from that musical episode of Buffy (P.S. if you're singing 'Walk through the Fire' and alternating characters, you can pretty much sing all the parts as a duo. Protip from a dork.)

Anyway, those days of fun are one of the things I totally miss from Australia, so I hope we can have some good times while she's here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have a confession: the dude has still been a bit not-keen on sleeping in his room, so we finally caved and moved the cot back into our room. In hindsight, we probably should have kept it in our room for longer to begin with, but he was pretty okay with it up until recently, when he decided he would not, could not, go to sleep in the crib (he would not, could not with a... um... squib?)

So, confession part two: he's been sleeping in our bed at night. Yes, co-sleeping, that thing that I suspect lots of people do but don't talk about, because it's dangerous and wrong and makes your kids fail to develop independence. It probably also causes autism.
Ha, look at how I immediately got all defensive, in anticipation of being told off. I'm sure nobody really cares what I'm doing - rest assured, I'm doing my best to keep my son as safe and happy as possible, and I think everyone should stick to whatever works for them.
 
Anyway, having the cot in our room is like magic - he's been sleeping in there for hours at night (but not all night, yet), and seems to settle himself more easily without my help. He's even taking longer naps up there, which means I get bigger blocks of time during the day to do stuff and therefore have sanity. Good times.
And then when he does wake up (as he did just now) - he wakes up happy and calm, instead of in tears. Magic, I tells ya.

Still not sure whether to lie to the nurses at his next checkup, for fear of the disapproving looks - I jest, I'm sure they've heard it all before and probably have many tips and tricks for helping us all out.

--------------------------------------

Photobooth presents: Post-nap snuggle party on the couch.


Featuring Olga funny-face, Nina licky-chops...


... and Henry happy-pants.

7 comments:

Unnur said...

Oh gosh! I love you guys and good on you for confessing. My generation lied big time.." yeah he's sleeping through the night, in his own bed, only feeding 4 hourly etc etc. Just enjoy the moment and Henry will be and IS fine (perfect).

Unnur said...

Oh gosh! I love you guys and good on you for confessing. My generation lied big time.." yeah he's sleeping through the night, in his own bed, only feeding 4 hourly etc etc. Just enjoy the moment and Henry will be and IS fine (perfect).

Gil Liane said...

I love the Buffy singing tip! Have fun :) Also, what is with this whole thing, where everything seems to cause autism? It's like the Conspiracy Theory of the baby world!

Jon Hermanniusson said...

Well, funny you should say "do whatever works for you". On the co-sleeping, we have Rubee 5 and Ava 3 sleeping in our bed, well they actually have a single bed butted up against ours to sleep in but they sometimes find their way into ours. That's why we bought a King-size bed. The funny thing is the 9 month old Emmet sleeps in his own room in a cot. We are at peace with our arrangements and wear our sleeping status on our sleeves. The reality is everyone gets loads of shut eye and are happy the next day which obviously goes a long way towards family harmony etc etc. The rules are: no drunks in the bed, no drugged people in the bed (sleeping pills or heavy pain killers) this avoids the heavy sleeping rolling over on the kids incident. Sleep responsibly. Our bedroom is like ye olden day cave, we're all together and we're all safe. Except for Emmet I suppose, he may be required to take one for the team but that's life right? xxx

Jon Hermanniusson said...

Well, funny you should say "do whatever works for you". On the co-sleeping, we have Rubee 5 and Ava 3 sleeping in our bed, well they actually have a single bed butted up against ours to sleep in but they sometimes find their way into ours. That's why we bought a King-size bed. The funny thing is the 9 month old Emmet sleeps in his own room in a cot. We are at peace with our arrangements and wear our sleeping status on our sleeves. The reality is everyone gets loads of shut eye and are happy the next day which obviously goes a long way towards family harmony etc etc. The rules are: no drunks in the bed, no drugged people in the bed (sleeping pills or heavy pain killers) this avoids the heavy sleeping rolling over on the kids incident. Sleep responsibly. Our bedroom is like ye olden day cave, we're all together and we're all safe. Except for Emmet I suppose, he may be required to take one for the team but that's life right? xxx

northern musings said...

Oh Jónki... that was brilliant... we really have to catch up some day - will be nice to meet you again as a grown up - and probably more of a grown up than I am! I have no opinion on the correct method on bringing up kids and on where they should sleep (I remember going into mum and dads bed at a much older age.... and am happy that they let me sleep with them rather than send me back into my bed) Parents are all about security.... I think I grew out of it just before puberty....

Sara said...

I'm all for co-sleeping! Ya gotta do what works for you. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They eventually find their own bed, wether at two or at seven. But never at 21, don't let anyone tell you that shit.
Welcome to the crazy hippy parent club, abahahaa!