Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"You can't give a hug without getting a hug." Jacques Benigne Bossuel

I never used to be a very touchy feely person. Growing up, we were never that cuddly a family - we all love each other, of course, but we were all just a bit reserved. I remember going through a phase as a teenager where I would hug my friends every time I saw them. I think I made a conscious decision to do so, because being unsure about whether a hug is going to happen somehow seemed more awkward than just barrelling into someone's personal space.

I sort of grew out of that phase as I got a wider group of acquaintances once I left high school, many of whom I wasn't super comfortable hugging. Maybe I got more respectful of people's boundaries? Nah. I think I just got more selective of who received my embraces.

Then I met Ross, who does the best hugs ever, in my opinion. I'm still not a huge fan of public displays of affection (get a room!), but I can appreciate a good rib-crushing hug from someone I love. Speaking of which, I should probably get into training for when my little sister gets here - I haven't seen her in over two years, and we've gotten over our reservedness. There will be one or two hugs.

Anyway, all this talk of affection is inspired by this Motherhood Monday post from A Cup of Jo. It's about how all of a sudden when you have a baby, you do waaaay more physical affection and touching than ever before. So true. And sometimes you do so much baby snuggling, that by the time your husband gets home, you're all affection-ed out. Also true, but I didn't really think about it until it was pointed out to me.

So excuse me, I'm going to go hug my dudes. Both of them.

3 comments:

Unnur said...

Yep! I'm more a huggy person now than I used to be.Get ready for the Anna hugs, they're crushing ones. Hug the dudes from me please and they can hug you from me too.

Maja said...

Even Jason has to mentally prepare for Anna's bear hugs. They are pretty squeezy!

Look forward to giving you guys a big squeeze!

Anna said...

I am glad everyone has to prepare for my hugs. SERIOUS BUSINESS.

SERIOUS LOVING BUSINESS.

- Anna