Monday, November 28, 2011

The name game again!

Over on A Cup of Jo, she is talking baby names for Motherhood Monday. She hyphenated both her and her husband's last names for her baby, and asks what other people think, and whether they'd consider doing the same...
Hyphenating hasn't ever really been an option for me, I have the longest surname ever - and then I changed it to something even longer. Basically, the Icelandic last name should be your dad's name (or your mum's name), and then son or daughter on the end. So my surname here is Sigurthorsdottir - daughter of Sigurthor. My brother's last name is Sigurthorsson, for obvious reasons. And of course, you don't take your husband's name when you get married - when you're married to Mr. Jonsson, it doesn't stop you from being your father's daughter. Plus the ending 'son' sounds weird on a girl, if you're in the Icelandic mindset. 

When my dad's family moved to Australia in the sixties, however, everyone thought it was too weird for a whole family to have different last names, so they all took the 'man of the house's last name, which was Hermanniusson (take a guess as to what my great granddad's name was...) So my dad got that last name, which my mum then took when they got married, and I grew up not really realising that I had a boy's last name.

Until I lived in Iceland for a year when I was twelve. I went to school, made friends, became more Icelandic-ish - and eventually felt a bit funny about my last name. While I was over here I used Sigurthorsdottir, because that was what everyone assumed my name to be, as a person with two Icelandic parents.
At the time, Sigurthorsdottir didn't really feel like my name, but as I spent more time in Iceland over the years, I grew kind of attached to it. While I was living in London, I decided that it might be nice if my passports for Australia and Iceland had matching surnames, so I changed it when I went back to Australia.

And then I got married, but since I'd only just officially become Sigurthorsdottir everywhere, I didn't want to change it to Di Blasio straight away. And I haven't really felt the need to do so yet... Maybe when/ if we go back to Australia to live, I'll think about it?

So yeah, that was a very long winded way of saying hyphenated surnames? Not going to happen. I wouldn't want to condemn anyone to that many letters.
Henry could have been some variation of Rossson (Rosssson? Rosson?), or even Olguson, but we decided Di Blasio has a much nicer ring to it.

Man, do you think anyone likes discussing their name as much as I do? I have so many things to say on the subject. Remind me of this next time I think I have nothing to write about...




3 comments:

Sara said...

Rosssssson! haha.
I have some mama friends that hyphenated their surnames, and their husbands did too! That's pretty rad i think.

Sara said...

psssst, also where did you get Henry's heart jumper?
I bet youre going to say someone knitted it. That's what I imagine. I wish I had the patience!

olga said...

Yeah, I think it's neat when the man changes his name too - I like that it doesn't always have to default to the male name...

The jumper - I bought it from the red cross shop, but I think it's baby gap? But I guess it could be from a while ago.
xx