Saturday, November 19, 2011

Happiness is a Kong Foo Sing...

The NaBloPoMo prompt for yesterday was 'What has been the happiest moment of your life thus far?'

I don't know if I have one single amazing, life-defining moment of pure happiness... I'm probably supposed to say when Henry was born, but to be honest, I was pretty out of it when that finally happened. It was probably the 'most blurrily exhausting and vaguely traumatic moment of my life.'

So I don't think there's any one moment in my life that outshone all the rest. The way I look at it is inspired by this quote from Kurt Vonnegut (who else?):

"I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'"

I actually do this. I make a point of it. I say those exact words.

I have said it while walking with the dog along the fjord, when the weather is nice and still. And when there's a freezing wind. And when it's snowing.
I have said it when I'm sitting inside with my husband watching silly videos on the internet and eating popcorn.
I have said it when I've been snuggling with the little dude, when he's woken up at four thirty in the morning and he's making the most ridiculous noises ever.

I try to say it often, because I think the little moments of pure happiness are much easier to come by than the big dramatic ones.

2 comments:

northern musings said...

That is so true Olga. I try and remind myself of this as well. There are so many little good things that make up a great life!

olga said...

Sigga, I think if anyone knows how to appreciate the good and beautiful things in life, it's you! xx