Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Seven days and seven nights...

So today we have a one-week-old little Henry man! Just realised I didn't write all those details that people write down - he was born at 5.35am on Wednesday the 8th of June, weighing 3.985kg and 53cm in length.


It has been a pretty crazy week - in writing about it, there may be some instances of waaaay too much information. I'll try to keep a bit of a lid on it, but let's face it, I know some people have a morbid sense of curiosity like my own, so surely you want one or two gory details?*

*On the list of gory stories NOT being told today: that whole giving birth part. Maybe later, but for now it's all still a little bit too fresh.

This suit makes him look like a muppet. Go Bonds!

We went into the hospital on Tuesday afternoon, finished all that pesky labour business by Wednesday morning, and then spent the next day and night in a happy daze. Mum, Dad and Vicki came to visit us in Akureyri, took lots of photos and did lots of oohing and aahing and almost crying.

With Nanna Vicki

We wanted to head home as soon as possible, so we started talking to the midwives about that on Thursday morning, but of course there were various tests for me and Henry before we could go. I had three separate people come in to take blood samples - the first guy was a bit awkward (possibly because of my exposed boobs), but really careful and gentle. The second lady was one of the lovely midwives, and she managed to draw blood from the same spot completely painlessly.

Then came the doctor. I offered him my other arm, because Henry happened to be sleeping on the first one. I have no idea what exactly happened, but for some reason it took him four tries, in four different spots up and down my wrist to find a vein that worked. It was almost funny, except that I'd already been through the previous night and all that entailed, and then there was this totally avoidable pain from a careless doctor guy - pretty much the definition of 'the last straw'.
So while I didn't cry during labour, I totally bawled then, and again every time I spotted the four bits of cotton wool sticky taped to my arm.

Not bawling in this photo, obviously.

Anyway, we were allowed to leave the hospital that afternoon, and there followed the slowest and most careful drive home ever. We were a little worried that he'd be fussy on the way home, but then we remembered all the stories we'd heard about car rides being so soothing to babies. So he slept and we relaxed a bit and then we were home!

The next couple of days were a bit of a haze again, Henry decided he had some issues with putting effort into breastfeeding. He'd been alright at the hospital, but I think I wasn't really making lots of colostrum, and he fairly quickly lost patience with even trying to feed, so he'd just cry. Really loudly. There's something about the pitch and tone of that cry, it is just absolutely paralyzing. Made my brain freeze up completely. So that wasn't really that much fun.

Anyway, our awesome midwife came by for home visits, and reassured us that it was okay to feed him formula just to take the edge off his hunger before trying to breastfeed. She used the term 'pour it into him', which I thought was just a figure of speech, but then she clarified that it was better to avoid a bottle, and just fill him up!

Unnur Amma likes to make him burp...

... and Nina wants to help.

And in the meantime there were all the tips on how to make your milk come in, every man and his dog and the internet has them! I had oats, hot compresses, soup and my first beer in aaages. It was pretty nice, even if it was a Guinness - mmm, medicinal.

The formula kept us going until Sunday morning when we ran out. Oops, never mind, we'll go to the convenience store up on the hill right? Ha ha, um, nope! Sunday was Whitsunday, apparently even the convenience stores are shut! So some of us may have indulged in a minor meltdown, but then all of a sudden: MILK! The timing was just impeccable, and Henry overcame his fear of the boob and drank like a champ.

And since then, he's been the mellowest baby ever! He's been sleeping really well overnight, and just chilling during the day. It probably helps that Ross and I are both in total holiday mode, as Mum and Dad have been staying and taking care of the washing, cooking, shopping and everything else!
So we all just hang out and relax and enjoy life - and talk amongst ourselves about how clever and exciting Henry is. For example? He just did five sneezes in a row. What a great dude.

Life is sweet.


Oz said...

Massive congratulations and best wishes to all the little family!

Gil Liane said...

The photo of you is SO beautiful, you look so incredibly peaceful and content, you really are glowing! :) I also love the shot where he has his mouth wide open, it's SO cute. My mum said, look at all his hair! As for the formula adventure, it's always the way, isn't it?! Glad everything's going so well x

Maja said...

He is so so so adorable!!! I'm seeing Kristinn in his face a little bit. They're excellent photos, reading this is a great way to start a day at work. Miss you, love to everyone!

Bridget Turner said...

so rad.

miss you too