Thursday, May 19, 2011

The waiting game...

Puppykins has realised that she gets more pats if I don't have to bend down to reach her... And in other news, she's lost three teeth at the front and looks kind of like a hobo.

 
I think my bendy abilities are at their worst ever: socks, shoes and tights are all becoming severe obstacles in my day-to-day life. As Mum said when I talked to her today, though, can you imagine having octuplets? Where would your organs go?

------------------------------------------

Had a meeting with the midwife yesterday, it was sort of an informal ante-natal class for just me and Ross. And then seeing as the midwife's English is fairly terrible, it was pretty much just for me. I got lots of good out of it, though! I had figured that I knew next to nothing about childbirth, but then I got scared and did lots of reading, so it turns out I know quite a bit now.
Lots of it is horror stories, but I figure that's for the best. And hey, here's a new word I didn't know about until recently*: lochia - but please don't click the link if you're eating, squeamish or just grossed out by things that are really gross.

* But this is definitely the sort of stuff they should teach in sex ed if they really want to reduce teen pregnancy rates... Ew.

The midwife talked a lot about the really realllly basic nuts and bolts of pregnancy ('Here's a placenta. It gives nutrients to the foetus, and takes away waste products'), which makes me wonder how many clueless teenage girls she talks to. I heard a story from a girl at work, about a young (16-17ish?) friend of hers who was having a baby - her water broke, and she had no idea what was happening... How does anyone get to that point without knowing at least that? Surely movies alone have taught you that amniotic fluid happens. Oh well.

The other reassuring thing about the meeting was that childbirth in Iceland seems to be a pretty laidback affair, and you can pretty much take control of what you want to do. At Akureyri, they have the usual drug options, epidurals and whatnot (and laughing gas - yes!), but they also have acupuncture and stuff like that. Given that there's not much choice of which hospital I go to, I'm glad this one has options.
I think that's the thing that worries me most about the birth, I don't want it to be completely out of my control. Anyway, it sounds like they let you do whatever feels right at the time, which sounds good. Surely it's a natural thing and instinct takes over a bit, yeah? Yeah. 

---------------------------------------------

Tomorrow is my last day at work, I am very much looking forward to not being there anymore! Had a chat with my boss today, and he said he was happy for me to stop, and was generally awesome about it. I'm glad I stuck it out this long, but I guess I'm mostly grateful that I have been healthy enough to do so! 
So now it's a week or four of hanging out and playing the waiting game... The midwife warned us against getting into that frame of mind where you're only focussing on the waiting, so I'm just going to enjoy the time to myself - knit, chill out and have naps with the puppy. It's a good life.

5 comments:

Maja said...

Wow nobody ever talks about lochia! I had no idea. It's like all the periods you missed out on while you were pregnant coming at once! Six weeks? Lame!

I think the control thing is important to most mothers. I'm sure it will all be great. Ish...

Wow last day at work you lucky thing! How lovely to have a bit of a holiday before the real work starts. Though I'm sure Henry will be as great (but better) as Nina. Xoxo

northern musings said...

Well, I just learnt something new.

love you!

Unnur said...

Feet up and lots of sleep. See you soon!!!

Johanna said...

Again - I am stuck on words - you Aussies sometimes use the funniest words;°)... I tried to look them up in a dictionary - "lochia" - "octuplets" - but I could not even find them there - he he;°)...
But I am sure everything will be just fine - you just go crazy if you feel like it - yell at Ross - pinch his hand - (just say sorry later);°)... this is the privilege of a woman in labor - trust me - I was there for Steina 2 times - and she was MEAN - but I still love her..;°)...
Relax Olga - have a great time while you wait - as Maja says - the real work starts later...
If you need somone to talk to about these things - talk to Steina - she is great and been through 4 births... love ya....

sally said...

Olga! I keep missing your comments over on my blog due to my general stupidity and only seeing them months later (ie now)

Your puppy is just about identical to my puppy :) Except my puppy is quite possibly actually retarded.

So anyway you are having a baby any day now? What is up with that? That is crazy and exciting - I send lots of loff your way xx