Monday, March 28, 2011

Catch 22...

Well, now that I've started rambling about the house, I must continue, yes?

The latest drama is: I got an email from the loan people, saying that all our application bits and pieces are fine, and based on that info we should be fine to get the monies for the house...

BUT!

They need a form from the sheriff (ha ha, sheriff!) confirming that we made an offer that has been accepted. This is necessary for home loans here in Iceland, instead of getting pre-approved, you make an offer on a house, and then once it's accepted you can apply for the loan.

Because we bought it at auction, though, we needed to pay a quarter of the total cost as a deposit, and we need to come up with the next quarter before the handover date. At that point, we'll get the paperwork from the sheriff that will allow us to get the loan.
So to summarize, to get the loan, we need the paperwork. To get the paperwork, we need to pay the sheriff the money from the loan.
ARGH!

Oh well, we are in the midst of finding solutions right now, and I'm not convinced that it'll have any affect on when we move in - if Ingó gets out by next Sunday, we'll be in there five minutes later!

----------------------------------------------

And since I've got a title that already  fits:

C is for...


Cats - because we all know I am one of those people who is at high risk of becoming a crazy old cat lady. I absolutely adored my cat John Malkovich - he was one of the kittens that Dad brought home from work, and he somehow became my cat, as opposed to ours. Can't wait til I can get another kitty of my own, but not sure if it'll be anytime soon. I'll just have to settle for Snotra for now...


Creative outlets - music, writing, knitting, drawing, taking photos - I have decided talent matters little (yay!), it's all about just doing stuff for fun and stress release and interestingness... And I like the sense of achievement you get when you make something. I think that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to about our house - building things, painting, and just making a place that reflects who we are.

Crows - my brain is a bit blank at the moment, but I've been meaning to mention it anyway: there are a tonne of crows here in Sauðárkrókur. And I love them. You see them everywhere, perched on top of the gates at the graveyard, on the steeple of the church, and flying around in big, creepy, creaky flocks.

Lots of people I've talked to here seem to like them, too. I feel like they usually represent ominousness and doom, but they are almost respected here, from what I've seen.
Amma told me a folk story about a girl who used to feed the crows near her farmhouse, and then one day one of them stole her glove and hopped away. So she followed it, it hopped away some more, and so on, until they were quite far away from the farm. And then the farm was swallowed up by an avalanche.
So the moral of the story is, be nice to crows and they'll save you from a snowy death?

6 comments:

Maja said...

Aw Snotra! She's the best. My second favourite cat in the world (puss will always be number 1). I can't wait to get a cat either! I have noticed they make my face itchy now but i don't care. I will just have to stop rubbing my face in their fur.

When i was in primary school i learnt how to tell the difference between crows and ravens. Crows go caw caw caw but ravens go caw caw caaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhaaaaaaaw. Crows and ravens are really smart and they let all their buddies kmow when they find food (so do magpies). When i was mapping in madagascar the crows all had white chests so they looked like they were wearing penguin suits. I thought they were cute but the locals hated them because they hung around the tombs. Duh! They like eating bones!

When we had puss the crows used to steal his bones that we gave him. Strong birds!

Unnur said...

Good luck with the loan! I like crows and ravens. When you get into the house you'll notice the spring migratory birds like loas and spois. Your garden is a haven for birds, hence maybe NO cats.???Love you lots Have fun in Akureyri.

Johanna said...

I think "our crows" are actually "ravens" ...;°)... and I LOVE THEM - I feed them in my garden and love watching them hopping around... they make some funny noices - not at all like crows...
I agree with your mother - you should think well and hard before you get a CAT - there are a lot of birds nesting in your area - cats drive them away - so choose between a majority of birds and ONE CAT...;°)... sorry Olga - I DO NOT LIKE CATS...
Anyway - I am so glad you got the house - even though the loan system is a little strange in Iceland - looking forward to visiting you there... have not been insed this house since I was a little girl...;°)..
Give Henry Thor a big "klapp" from me;°)...

olga said...

Ha ha, I sort of suspected they might be ravens, but then I'd have to wait til I got to the letter R, and who knows where my brain might be by then?

Aw... No kitty? I guess that's a better option than getting a cat and declawing it.
Oh well, a puppy will have to do. Or wait, that baby guy will probably be pretty entertaining and time consuming! He'll make a great pet!

xx

Johanna said...

Yes Olga min - babies make a very good pets...;°)...
You can always adopt Perla, if Steina is not alllowed to take her to the house they are renting in Kóavogur...;°)...

olga said...

Jóhanna, did you see the ad in sjónhorn?

FREE PUPPIES!

I think that might be problem solved...
x