Thursday, February 24, 2011

On Austen and food...

Hmm, just preheated the oven to start on dinner, but neglected to turn it up to a real temperature that cooks chicken. Looks like we'll be eating late tonight... I wonder which will win - my desire for food or my desire for an early night?

-------------------------------------------------------------

From NaBloPoMo: Take a random book, open it to a random page and post the passage that begins on the top left. If you like, tell us if the passage sheds any light on your life at present.

Random in this case will mean 'closest to where I am sitting, and ideally I won't even have to get up'... Dang, I will have to get up. Ooh, Sigga has class; the nearest book is Pride and Prejudice.

''But Mr Gardiner, though he assured her again of his earnest endeavours in the cause, could not avoid recommending moderation to her, as well in her hopes as her fears; and, after talking with her in this manner till dinner was on table, they left her to vent all her feelings on the housekeeper, who attended, in the absence of her daughters.''

Man, Jane Austen writes a killer run-on sentence. Can I admit that I sort of lost the gist by the end? But I guess I could still read my life into the rest of it if you want? That's what my half an English degree was about, after all!

Maybe Jane Austen thinks I am worrying too much, but also hoping too much - just thinking too much about everything that's going on. I should accept that good people are working on things on my behalf, and fretting and dwelling on it will not change anything.

Hey, I'm awesome. I should pretend to be a psychic - give people advice from classic novels, under the guise of 'knowing' with my superpowers what their ideal course of action should be...

----------------------------------------------------

I would like a bagel, some maraschino cherries and also peanut M&Ms... Not combined into one meal, just separately would be fine. I think those things are all available here in Sauðárkrókur, so it's only a matter of time, really... I finally bought some hash browns that I had been looking at for months, and it didn't lead to a crazy potato binge as I'd feared, so it's probably fine to buy these ridiculous impulse buys every now and again. Still can't find anchovies, though!

We are half-watching an American cooking competition to find the best comfort food in the country... Sigga and I just agreed that mashed potato is a pretty big feature of comfort food, but in the US the mystery ingredient appears to be cheese - cheesy vegetable soup, macaroni and cheese, baked farfalle with - you guessed it - cheese!

-------------------------------------------------------

Ross is at his Icelandic class tonight, I honestly don't know how he manages to find the energy... I guess it's only for a few more weeks, and there's a lot to be gained from it. Anyway, he's doing really well - he's definitely understanding way more than he did before, and he's not shy about trying out his Icelandic at work, which is an awesome thing. 

Ha, re-reading over this post, I've realised what happens when I start writing before dinner instead of after - you get a totally food-centric post. 

1 comment:

Northern musings said...

love it... when you read that passage I wasn´t working out where it was in the text... Now reading it I realise - Lydia is off with Wickham, whilst mamma is having yet another "turn". I doubt that you will ever be a Mrs Bennet., and things will work out in the end... trust me..... (no one else does so I need you to believe in me!!)