Wednesday, February 2, 2011

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Apparently there is a package waiting for me at customs in Reykjavik! In Iceland, you need to pay duty on anything you buy from overseas, and on expensive gifts that you receive - bit of a bummer really, but there's ways around it...

I heard about an ex-pat Icelander living in the U.S. who made herself a bit of a business: for a small fee, she'd get your awesome Amazon package, rewrap it in pretty paper and write you a birthday card, and voila - no more toll! It all went very well until she failed to post a few pretty large purchases. And stopped answering her phone and emails. And mysteriously moved house.

Anyway, customs sent me a letter saying I needed to provide my receipt of payment, but the joke's on them - it's a package from Mum, full of baby clothes bought on sale in London! So I wrote them a friendly email explaining it all, and since I haven't heard back from them, I assume they believe me...

----------------------------------------------------

It's been really snowy for the last couple of days, but luckily it has been quite still and pretty at night - lucky because I have been walking Miss Freyja, and it's that much more pleasant when you're not fighting the dog AND the wind. And, as an extra special bonus, since I can see the other doggy footprints in the snow, I can tell which way she's going to lunge next, and I can lunge first! It almost makes me feel like I'm controlling where we walk. Oh, the power.

----------------------------------------------

Aaaaaaand... That's it for this side of the world... Or you know, my small chunk of it, anyway!

2 comments:

Gil Liane said...

Olga, I do not want my parcel to cost you!! We must figure out a plan... (cause it is set to sail! Or fly. Or however it gets there :)

olga said...

Aw, that's sweet! I think as long as you mark it as a gift, and include a card or letter, it should get through okay.
And if worst comes to worst, I can totally sweet talk those customs folks again!
x