Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I've got some real estate here in my bag...

Nah, I don't really. But Simon and Garfunkel are fairly amazing.

---------------------------------------------

I decided that I have found my favourite comic blog in the entire world, ever...

Behold: Hyperbole and a Half! It is great. I just got really excited because the new post showed up in my reader. So. Good. I have nearly peed myself laughing while reading it, especially the posts about her dogs.

------------------------------------------------

What else? Work was uneventful as usual, I listened to some Nina Simone (and apparently it would have been her birthday yesterday! Aw...), Drones, Joanna Newsom, Fugazi and Portishead. I also caught the girl next to me singing along to Beyonce, but I didn't say anything - I don't want anyone to point it out to me if I get caught. Also, I should probably get some Beyonce on my iPod.

-------------------------------------------------

So... I guess I could disclose all these housing dramas that have been happening (or rather, the upsetting lack of anything happening on that front!) Basically, we want to buy a house off a relative, and we made him our first offer at Christmas, and he finally accepted our (increased) offer towards the end of January. 

However, he has a bunch of debt that's tied to the house, so even though he's happy with the offer, the bank has to agree to it. So at first they refused it, which we saw as a mixed blessing - in theory, if the bank seized the house and it went to auction, we could have ended up paying much less for it. Or we could have lost it entirely - ergh.

Anyway, a couple of days after the bank rejected the offer, we got a message from the real estate guy (who is home owner's brother, yay small towns), saying that actually, the bank wanted to take the offer - I guess they realised they probably wouldn't get any more than that at auction. This email was of course received on Friday afternoon, giving us the weekend to be excited and nervous and unable to do anything about anything! 

And then when Monday rolled around, it turned out that the bank in Reykjavík also needs to approve the offer. The bank manager here is encouraging them to accept, but in the meantime we're playing the waiting game, again. 

It's just a bit annoying that they keep getting our hopes up - in a way, it was almost a relief when the bank said no, as at least we could commit to looking for something else. On the other hand, we have been looking, and real estate is a little bit hard to come by at the moment. I guess because there is still a fair amount of work here, there's still quite a demand for property, both to rent and to buy. 

But anyway, at the end of the day, there's not much we can do except wait and see. I think we do need to put a time limit on how long we wait and see, but they just keep getting our hopes up a liiiitle bit more. And on the bright side, the longer we wait to buy a house, the more money we can save, and so the more of the house we can pay off!

--------------------------------------------------

Okay, enough of that, it's tiresome to dwell on! I must take my Ross home, he's stayed at Sigga's while I'm blog writing, and now he has fallen asleep on the couch. Aww...

4 comments:

Kerry and Stephen said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys XX

northern musings said...

We will find a way.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Poss, Henri will get a home eventually. Love you lots. mum

Gil Liane said...

OMG I luvvv Hyerbole & a Half! Her dumb dog cracks me up the most. The moving one is hilarious. My other fave is the one about being a grown up, sooo funny:
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html