Sunday, February 20, 2011

''In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.'' Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Ooh, today is Women's Day in Iceland! Men's Day (or husbands' day?) is celebrated at the beginning of the month of Þorri on the old Icelandic calendar, and Ladies' Day is at the beginning of Góa, which is now... Apparently there's supposed to be an exchange of cut flowers and trinkets on both days, but I'm not really a fan of spending money on flowers. For husbands' day, I figured I could just pick some flowers, then I remembered I live in Iceland, and it's still winter.

It's starting to feel like spring, though! Today when I woke up around 8.30, it was actually semi light outside. It is an amazing feeling to not wake up in pitch blackness. Also, Ross managed to sleep in, too, which is a minor miracle.

We had a pretty lazy morning, but then the whole spring vibe kicked in and we did some mega cleaning of the upstairs at Amma's - every once in a while I just get so frustrated with the space up there, and luckily Ross is willing to jump in and do most of the work.
Sigga's been painting and clearing out desks and drawers and paperwork, and the dudes at Ólafshús appear to be getting ready to do some building - it seems like everyone's been cleaning and fixing and organising today!

----------------------------------------

Sigga and I have been watching this show about the human body, it is pretty amazing. There's some slightly creepy CG that they use sometimes, but it's quite interesting if you can ignore those parts. They just had a section on childbirth - I have been trying to avoid thinking about that aspect of getting a baby, but I guess I will have to face up to it at some stage.

Possible TMI, but I've decided I want all the drugs they can possibly give me. Every single one they have available, at every stage. I read that there are some hospitals in the US where they're using laughing gas again - THAT IS WHERE I NEED TO BE. Actually, I think I also read that the US has one of the highest death-in-childbirth rates for a developed country, so maybe not. Plus there's hospital fees... Nah, Iceland will be good, especially since it'll be summer, so the road to Akureyri is less likely to be blocked by snow.

I was wondering why I always seem to read about women saying that they want a natural childbirth, no drugs if possible, no c-section, etc. Then I realised the reason I hear about it is because a drugged up birth is probably the default option - no one needs to strongly insist, it's just what will happen if nothing is said.

--------------------------------------------

Enough of that! I was looking for blog prompts, and I found one that suggests you try to think of as many words as you can for, say, the colour orange, or the taste of sweet. Not going to do it here, sorry, but I think it might be a fun list for work. There's only so many times you can do A to Z lists of musicians, bands and characters from the Whedon-verse (p.s. that last one was the easiest for me!)

No comments: