Saturday, February 12, 2011

Destiny is a name often given in retrospect to choices that had dramatic consequences - J. K. Rowling

Everything happens for a reason, right?
(Prompt from here)

I don't know. Don't think so. I think that with hindsight, people can find the best in a situation, and conclude that even if it seemed bad at the time, there was a silver lining all along. And I'm not against optimism by any stretch of the imagination - I'd much rather look on the bright side. Dwelling on bad things just makes me feel worse most of the time.

But somehow taking that 'seeing the bright side' and turning it into 'it was all predestined and happened for a reason' seems like a bit of a cop out. And then you have to believe in destiny and whatnot, and that's just too much of a commitment. 

Anyway, I'm guess in some ways I am a little bit superstitious - I feel like if I get too excited or certain about something, I'll jinx it, so I tend to keep things quiet for as long as humanly possible. Expect to hear news of Henry's arrival when he's two. 


P.S. One of the music channels at Sigga's is showing a list of the 99 biggest rock icons. Number 50 was Alanis Morrissette, followed by Limp Bizkit at number 49. No.

P.P.S. Ooh, Linkin Park just outranked them at number 42. Take that, Limp Bizkit!

P.P.P.S. Hey, it's like a way of keeping track of how long it takes me to write a post. Hint: Ages.

3 comments:

Maja said...

Agreed.

Gil Liane said...

You know I don't like JK Rowling's books, but I do like this speech from her:

http://harvardmagazine.com/commencement/the-fringe-benefits-failure-the-importance-imagination

olga said...

Whoa, what an awesome speech!

x