Sunday, January 30, 2011

..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..I..

Got some amazing postcards from Victoria, they are totally rad and made my day! As she points out, there's not very much room to write on a postcard (even with tiny neat handwriting), so this one here is just one of three!



Can't see the picture very well, but it's a kitty with multicoloured hair bands around his arms! I believe his name is Jasper, and he's from Stuff On My Cat - as Sigga said, my friends have some pretty excellent taste in postcards.

Ross and I went swimming yesterday morning, it was pretty nice, but a bit windy. We just got free swimming cards from work, it gives you free entry to any of the three pools in the fjord, as often as you like, until you leave the company! Exciting times, I love free things.

Had a lovely dinner at Sigga's last night, home slaughtered leg of lamb from Tunga with potato and leek soup for entree, and ice cream with Mars Bar sauce for dessert (of course you want the recipe: cream + Mars Bars in a pan, melt and eat with joy!)

Aaaand, I made Ross take a photo of me, wearing an awesome dress I got from my aunt Guðný (again, yay for free things!)



Aaaaand I'm clearly still working on appropriate facial expressions. But ye gods look at how huge I am!

In other news, I looked on Íslendingabók last night, which is an online ancestral database for pretty much everyone in Iceland. You basically sign up to it, and then you can type in anyone's name and find out how closely you're related to them. It's a far cry from tracing your family tree through letters and whatever other written records you can find - maybe a touch less rewarding, but very immediate and educational.

I wanted to find out how far back I was related to Páll Óskar, this awesome cheesy disco/pop star of whom I have grown fond (I've never heard a whole album, but he seems like a pretty good human.) Disappointingly, it turns out we're about six or seven generations apart, which is about as far as you can get from anyone here... Bummer. 

And I think that's pretty much everything I have to say. Had a very lazy day today in preparation for going back to work tomorrow - I am finding myself feeling a little bit more tired these days, but it's nothing an afternoon nap won't fix!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that is the best possible facial expression!