Thursday, December 9, 2010

On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer and Vixen!

It is somewhat amusing what makes me motivated to write - I have three or four drafts lying around, covering among other things: The Drones (and how they're my favourite band ever), the funny lady at work who can't ever figure out when to go on her coffee break (and how she is hilarious, but nice) and fish-stealing etiquette (I was going to summarize it, but gosh it's an in-depth subject. Honest.)

But what will make me finish a post? What is the magical element that I will finally commit to print (weeeelll, not print, but you know what I mean)?
The secret ingredient is food - specifically, reindeer burgers. Yup, dinner tonight was Rudolph in a bun, and it was delicious! I made the patties similar to the old Betty's recipe - and in doing so realised how much of my brain is filled with pointless info from old jobs... What's in a Baby Blues burger, you ask? Why, it's lettuce, a burger patty, a slice of cheddar cheese with blue cheese spread on top, cooked mushrooms and onions, and BBQ sauce. A Bistro? Lettuce, patty, cheese, bacon, sour cream and smoked hickory sauce. Thanks for asking.

So anyway, reindeer tasted surprisingly good, different from beef but not too gamey. I'd like to try it in some other form, but it's a wee bit pricey because it's so expensive to hunt.

I was going to take photos of a finished burger, but got distracted by the eating part before I got the chance... I did remember halfway through, but there are few things less appetizing than badly taken photos of half eaten food.

--------------------------------------------


What else is there? Today I got some super tips on upping my fish cleaning rate at work, and they were awesomely helpful! I still haven't quite reached the average speed of everyone else - which was about 220 today, although I have no idea what that number actually means. Number of fish per hour? Number of smiley faces I could draw while you clean a hundred fish?
Does not matter, my number today went from 145 (which was a record for me at the time) to 178 - I just couldn't manage to get past that point! Maybe one day... A girl can dream.
So yes, keeping track of numbers does wonders for a competitive lass like myself... And this week has gone really fast at work, which is great.

---------------------------------------------

Oooh, another nice thing about work, is that there is a special staff discount at the co-op tonight, for all of the staff of KS and its daughter companies - which means Fisk! We get 25% off everything, so we're doing some mega Christmas shopping for all of us! It's a good business plan, because I wasn't really planning on doing much shopping for presents at the co-op, but now of course I will. Still, it's not anything they had to do, so I appreciate the thought. I like the little things employers do to make you feel good about working.

And that's it for now. Prepare for no more updates until the next time I eat a crazy interesting dinner! Or maybe I'll let you in on the secrets of polite fish stealing...

2 comments:

Gill Omega said...

That's so funny- we watched a Christmas movie where the kid finds an injured reindeer, becomes convinced it's Prancer & hides it from her dad because her brother teases her by saying they'll eat Prancer for dinner... I was all, geez, that kids paranoid, do people even eat reindeer?? Turns out the answer is YES. I have more respect for the movie now Olga!

Anonymous said...

I ate deer Chorizo once. It was pretty excellent.

- Anna

(Also - I will buy bathers for you. Any preference for styles?)