Tuesday, December 21, 2010

CHEESE!

Oooh, Ross and I got amazing cheese and hangikjöt hampers from work as Christmas presents! How lovely and exciting!


It was all beautifully arrayed in a basket, but I dismantled it before taking photos. Oops.

BUT...
I can't eat any of the unimaginably delicious unpasteurised cheeses! NOOOOO!

Seriously dudes, I don't know if you understand how much of a tragedy this is. As I was putting most of it away in the fridge, my brain played me a montage of all the times I've enjoyed eating soft cheese: blue castello in a salad, roquefort and baguettes backstage in France, camembert and crackers in bed while watching a movie... Heartbreaking.

It definitely pays to triple check these dietary rules - K pointed out that the no caffeine thing has a pretty dubious basis, and sure enough, the booklets and internets all say a version of the following:
'The effect of caffeine on a developing foetus is unknown/ has not been studied well enough/ or maybe at all, now that we think about it, but you should probably not drink any, just in case it causes autism or albinoism or having the second toe longer than the first! GRARGH fear everything!!' Or you know, something to that effect.

Also, mum said someone told her the other day that ultrasounds cause ADD. Um. Yeah.

Anyway, I think I can at least eat the so-called 'jóla ostur'. Every year they make a special cheese for Christmas, and it says on the packet that it's in the havarti family, which is usually made from pasteurised milk! And also, I read that if you cook soft cheeses, that totally makes them okay! So, your best blue cheese, camembert and brie recipes in the comments, please!

6 comments:

northern musings said...

needed a photo... I would check the soft cheeses - they are probably made with pasteurised milk here.... I will check

olga said...

Edited to add photo! Oh my gosh, if those cheeses are okay to eat, it will change my life!
x

Northern musings said...

http://www.femin.is/lnthreads_read.asp?group_id=11&post_id=350491&thread_id=324647&theme_id=1

All Icelandic cheeses are made from pastuerised milk - you should be ok...

Maja said...

Cheese pizza!!

Gill Omega said...

fondue! big, boiling pot of cheese YUM :)

Gill Omega said...
This comment has been removed by the author.