Saturday, November 13, 2010

Wedding and guess what? More fish!

Ooh, guess what? The other day at work, I got to try something new! The way they freeze the fish is: the fillets are arranged on a conveyor belt, which then travels through the freezer room for about seven hours. I got to arrange the fillets on the conveyor belt – woo! It sort of felt like a video game, maybe 'Tesselating-fish-origami-tetris'* – one side of the fillet had to be folded under, then you‘d have to arrange them as close together as possible... And on top of that, I just used the word 'tesselate‘ for the first time in, oh, ten years? Awesome.

* If anyone ever makes this game, remember it was my idea first. Also, I'd totally get the high score.

After lunch I got to go back to my regular job, the fish trimming. It was quite a nice change, my knives were all nice and sharp and they didn‘t have time to get blunt before the end of the day! Plus the variety made it feel like my day was cut in half – good good.

I seriously have so much time to think at this job. Not so much with the new stuff, as I was concentrating quite hard at first, but the trimming has become pretty much instinctive. So I did some maths – I get this page of statistics on my little screen, so I can see how many A-class fish I‘ve put in, what percentage of the whole fish I‘m using, what percentage goes to B-class, and so on. So I was calculating how many fish I did total (using total number of A fish and percentage of A-class to figure out how many B fish I had), how many fish were done in the whole line, how many fish I must have messed up to get an error percentage of 2.1 (oops, SIX! Dang!)
I am such a nerd.

Also, you know what passes the time?  I sometimes pretend I‘m working in an office. Maybe an office under the sea? My inbox is full of fish, I sit at my little desk and cut them up, then I file them under awesome fish and not so awesome.  It makes me giggle.
So I had a pretty fun day – I think I‘m quite good at entertaining myself with nothing but my brain...

-------------------------------------------

Today is Maja and Jason's wedding -  it is so exciting and I wish I could be there! I'm sure it'll be an amazing and beautiful day, it sounds like they were pulling out all the stops to make it really special... I'm eagerly awaiting photos and video, I think Maja will be a gorgeous bride. So why don't we all raise our glasses (what, you don't have a glass of champagne next to your computer at all times? Shame on you!) to my lovely cousin, her charming husband, and all their future happiness!

1 comment:

Maja said...

Aw thank you, it was really great, we had such a good time! The videographer said there is a 5 month turnaround time on the edited video, so sorry you won't get to see it for aaaaages! But there are loads of photos on facebook already. Yay!