Saturday, October 9, 2010

Etcetera

Not much is going on... Ross and I have been job hunting. It's totally different to how I've looked for jobs in the past, ie. finding stuff I have experience in, looking on job sites on the internet... No, no, here in Iceland, we're pretty much just going into every place that has staff, and asking if they need more staff!

Often the answer seems to be no, the downturn is getting a little bit worse at the moment. I applied for a job at the hospital, and I got a rejection letter that said thanks, but the job doesn't exist any more! In the time between when they posted the ad and sent the replies, they had to cut back on a whole stack of jobs, so they're obviously not hiring anyone new. Bummer.

So who knows where I'll end up working? Hopefully it'll be somewhere that I can walk to work, and that'll pay me decent monies! Apart from that, I don't really mind. I have a couple of shifts at the restaurant next door in the next couple of weeks, just to fill in some gaps - I think that's a pretty good deal, I don't really want to work there full time, but it'd be cool to get some cash monies...

--------------------------------------------

What else? My mum left on Wednesday, which was pretty sad, but she was very brave with her goodbyes. Mum hates leaving, hates airports, and does not enjoy goodbye hugs very much, so it was very hard to see her go.
And then Ross' mum arrives tomorrow - she and mum will probably be passing each other at 30,000 feet sometime today. The post office goes up for sale (AGAIN!) this weekend, so hopefully this time around she'll get to buy it!

-------------------------------------

Apart from that, there is not too much news. We're going to a horsey dinner next week, where every course is horse! Sigga has gone two years in a row now, so I'm pretty sure it'll be a fun night. Tonight we're eating (well, Amma is cooking, anyway) sheep's heads for dinner, so Ross and I will probably make some sandwiches instead. Yum yum.

1 comment:

Maja said...

I don't know what it is about sheeps head, but that meat just doesn't taste as good as the meat on the rest of the body. Except the eye, that tastes nice, but... gross! Only to be eaten when showing off to non-icelanders, I think.

You should keep trying hospital, that was a good place to work.

I'm sure something will come up, it always does. xx