Friday, June 18, 2010

There's no place like...

Ten of my homes, in order:

1. Manjimup - in a farmhouse that my dad built! I don't really remember much about it, and the stuff I remember, I'm not sure if I actually remember or have just seen it in pictures. Kristinn once made upstairs into the ice-planet Hoth by tearing open a packet of flour. I fell down the stairs and still have the scar on my face.
The one thing that I'm pretty sure I remember was a seesaw that went around in circles as well as up and down. (dear family, if this isn't true, please don't disillusion me.)

2. Sauðárkrókur - we lived with my grandma and grandpa, and then later moved to an apartment block. Again, I think I remember sitting in the lounge room and then being told that I had a new baby sister - I mostly remember a weird tense vibe that didn't really fit with just hanging out and watching TV.

I definitely remember being at Amma's house and being told that I couldn't go to Drangey because I wasn't dressed appropriately. Now, Drangey is an island in the bay - it's basically a cliff sticking out of the ocean, with a flat grassy plain on top (either that, or it's a troll cow that's been turned to stone). It's a pretty hard climb to the top, and once you get there, the edges are crumbly and dangerous. It is no place for a four year old. At the time, however, I remember being adamant that I could go home and change - I clearly felt very strongly about it, because it's stuck with me for twenty odd years.


3. Maddington - I think this was the house that my grandma and grandpa lived in when they first came to Australia. Our backyard had a whole bunch of fruit trees - plums, apples, oranges (or were they mandarins?), passionfruit and grapes. There were also almonds and heaps and heaps of bunnies, but they're not fruit (duh).

Sigga lived just up the road, and I remember lots of big fun family gatherings at her house and in her pool.


Originally uploaded by siggamag 
Whoa, it was quite difficult to steal this picture. Why will you not let me steal pictures, blogger? 
Oh yeah, copyright infringement. I guess that's fair enough.

 
4. Roleystone - We moved away from Maddington after our house got broken into, possibly a couple of times? There could have been a connection between these two things.

When we were looking for a new house, Mum had a checklist of three things that she wanted: a garage, a double sink and... I can't remember the third one? A bath? Or was that me?

Our house in Roley had none of the above, but it had a lovely feeling to it, so they bought it anyway.

I've spent most of my life in that house, and it is beautiful and precious to me.

5. Sauðárkrókur again - I went to Iceland and lived with my grandma twice, for about a year at a time - once when I was twelve, and again when I was eighteen. I got homesick like crazy both times, but I learnt a lot about who I am and what I want to be. And of course I got the chance to fall in love with Iceland as an (almost) adult.




6, 7 and 8. North Perth - I lived in three separate houses, all of them within a three block radius.

In the first house, my bedroom was a shoebox, and I lived with two dudes who were even slobbier than I was.
In the second, I accidentally ousted a flatmate who didn't want to live with two siblings (me and K) - it's okay though, he was a bit creepy and weird anyway. Then Ross moved in, Kristinn moved out, and Ross and I played house for a while. We also tried to play catch-the-mouse-that-lives-under-the-loungeroom-floorboards and keep-the-lawn-alive, but we never really managed those ones.
Then we moved in with Joe, where we had an above ground pool and a concrete jungle in the backyard. Our kitchen was a rehearsal space/venue, and we had some awesome parties. That last one was a doozy.




9. Roleystone again - briefly, just before we left for London. It was great to spend some hardcore time with family before we went away.

10. London -  I've got my beefs with this city, but it has been a pretty great experience living here. It's harder than living in Perth, but there's so much to do and see... You know. It's London-y.


And next up, Ross and I will go back to Iceland, if everything goes according to plan. I'm really excited about it.

1 comment:

Northern musings said...

Great post Olga - inspires me to do something similar... glad that I haven´t given Maggi´s scanner back. I think that mine may go past 10 though - but does that matter!?? hmm am going to have to do a word doc first I think as I try to remember my life..... Can´t wait for you guys to get here!