Friday, January 8, 2010

Icelandicizing and birthdays...

Hmm, nothing super exciting, just becoming more Icelandic every day...

For example: I've been sleeping til lunchtime regardless of what time I go to bed. At first I figured, yeah, I've been having some late nights, I'm on holiday, so it's fine, but it's becoming a bit ridiculous. Maybe I'm part bear.

Ross, on the other hand, has been keeping busy and helping out. Yesterday he cleared most of the snow and ice off Sigga's roof using a combination of screwdriver, crowbar and broom.





On Wednesday I went up to the farm with my great aunt Maja and great uncle Mundi, to play cards with my great uncle Þóri. Amma was supposed to go, but she had invited a Jehovah's witness lady from Akureyri to do some bible study with her. She tried to phone her and cancel, but she couldn't get through, so she sent me to play instead - you need four people to play whist, and she didn't want to let them down.

It was actually pretty fun, it's educational playing with people who really know how to play. Luckily they weren't too competitive about it, or at least not enough that they called me on my mistakes...
Cousins, siblings, fellow Perth-Icelanders: do you remember learning to play whist based on how much the old man across from you shouted when you played the wrong card?  I certainly do.
Anyway, it was all obviously for the best, as my great uncles were impressed with my mad whist skillz in the end - I put it down to dealing correctly (four then three then three then three) and remembering to pass the deck to your right (never LEFT!) to be cut. Mad skillz, I say.




What else? We had slátur for dinner last night... Or more accurately, we each had a taste of it for entree, then Sigga saw our pain and ordered us a pizza for dinner! Slátur is the delicious Icelandic delicacy made of blood, rye flour and fat sewed into a sheep's stomach. Mmm...




And it's dad's birthday today! Happy birthday Dad (and Elvis)!

3 comments:

Northern musings said...

Brilliant post Olga - and yes Thor happy birthday to you... and Elvis and David Bowie!

Anna said...

Also David Bowie Apparently!

Maja said...

Good times!