Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Skating and scary birds...

I had a great day off yesterday - Ross and I went ice skating at the Natural History Museum! They have an outdoor rink there during winter, and I think it might be really busy during 'peak' times (after 5pm and on weekends), but on a Tuesday afternoon? It was almost empty...





...which was really really lucky, as neither of us were much good at staying upright... They had a little kids' section off the main rink, it was a great place for practising jumping, spinning, not falling over, and other such tricks. Ross had some great spin action, but wasn't so good at stopping the spin.




The weather was really nice, too - pretty cold, but not windy or rainy. I love that beautiful kind of crisp sunny day. I'll be happy if the rest of winter stays like this...




After the skating we went into the museum itself for a little while... So many stuffed animals! Here are some scary looking birds:



I'd definitely like to go back there sometime and look around properly. And take way more taxidermy photos.
 
And finally, I have been shopping on eBay. You can get the most wonderful things on the internet. Case in point:






It's a tote bag - I just realised you can't tell that from the picture... Anyway, I may have to start a flickr album made up of pictures of me with alternate heads. It'll be rad.

8 comments:

unnur said...

Hey, sounds like a great day out. Ice skating was never my forte, don't think any exercise is really. Keep smiling and blogging Love you guys. Write a wish list for xmas and your birthday please.

Anna said...

Skating! YES!

Maybe when you come back to Perth you can join my roller derby team! It'll be awesome!

KH said...

AWESOME. I dug the NHM but with an ice skating rink it might be even better! I have to go back there some time and have my photo taken with the Charles Darwin statue.

northern musings said...

I love the natural history museum, I love all the museums in London, my aim was always to spend 2 weeks in London doing nothing but visiting museums (and the pub - ofcourse). Maybe it will happen one day....
Ice skating is the best! Maybe we will have some ice when you guys are here and we can go and do some in the great outdoors, I think that Jóhanna and Steina have boots... will check it out.

olga said...

Mum: will do! I always feel better when I'm in contact with you guys - miss you heaps!

Anna: Roller derby scares the bejeezus out of me. Maybe I'll come watch/cover my eyes in horror!

K: I really have to look spend a whole day there - where is the Darwin statue? I'll take a photo there for you!

Sigga: Next year, we should do the museum trips! Maybe while I'm still unemployed?
Outdoor skating in Iceland would be AMAZING!

love you all, family dearest
xx

Maja said...

Wow it's so pretty there now! I didn't know they had an icerink out the front there in winter. How cool! I loooove the natural history museum!

northern musings said...

Ooo I forgot to tell you - I think that they also have an outdoor rink at Greenwich - in the old naval baracks - near the maritime museum - would also be another really nice day out when you have nought to do. Plenty of great places to eat/drink around there too. and a wonderful market or two.

KH said...

right in the main hall at the top of the steps!