Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cave art, karaoke and ARGH - tonsils!

  So there is some cool art in the gallery at my work at the moment. I worked the opening party on Thursday night, then had a look at the exhibition on Friday.



I think I love art that you can walk through... K and I once went to an exhibition in Melbourne that had a cardboard maze, this weird cave thing is on a smaller scale.

 

You walk in and there's all these hand made clay faces on the walls, they all look kind of shocked and excited and talkative.

 




I really enjoyed it, and it was a lovely end to my week. I didn't have enough time to look at everything else properly, but this sculpture cave alone made me pretty happy.


On Friday night we went to karaoke for Daisy's birthday - I didn't take any photos, but I'm sure you can picture how awesome it was. There were lots of her work friends there, they were pretty nice people. We sang heaps, danced more and then went to a gay bar (as you do). Twas a lovely evening.

Last week at work was a bit killer. Did I mention Hajni, the awesome girl at work who had tonsilitis? I ended up covering a bunch of her shifts, but then she was 'better' and on antibiotics, so she came back to work...
She worked the day shift on Thursday, then when I came in at three for the party, she looked pretty awful - all fevery and sore throated. Turns out she had a temperature of 39, went straight from work to hospital and has now returned to Hungary to have her tonsils taken out.

This sucks on the levels of 'oh my gosh, poor little Hajni', and also 'oh no, this means it's just me until Christmas'. The new girl has just quit, she's working one more week and then leaving. She wasn't especially awesome, but it's always easier having someone else there, even if I have to prod her into doing anything useful.
So we now have two new trial girls and I'm hoping they're the kind of people who don't mind actually working while they're at work. It seems to be a rarer quality than I thought...

Anyway, it's only about five weeks til Christmas, I can stick it out til then. I'll go visit the clay faces in the gallery when I need cheering up!

6 comments:

northern musings said...

They remind me alittle of the scream earings and broach your ma gave me! Lovely....
Hang in there kiddo - as you say not long till Christmas - I have turned the lights on on the fence and the garland on the house. It´s still dark here until just before 10 in the morning and getting dark at around 4 in the afternoon..... soon no more sun....

Maja said...

I don't understand the concept of removing tonsils to prevent tonsilitis. It won't stop you catching a bacterial infection.

I get tonsilitis whenever I get run down. I think it's a residual glandular fever thing. There's no way I will get my tonsils out.

Resting works every time. And antibiotics if it gets really bad.

That's a bummer about the work situation. But yay art!

I have to go, it's home time!

olga said...

Yay for home time! And Christmas lights!
x

Anonymous said...

those faces gave me a total flashback to Labyrinth, you know, when she's falling and all the hands catch her and make faces? cheers,gillian

Bridget Turner said...

Man your job is shit!!
you need to quit you are soooo much better than it x

olga said...

Ha! Anna and I both thought of those labyrinth faces, too!

And yeah, I really need to get around to doing that quitting thing...
x