Monday, October 12, 2009

Sigga!

Yeah, so it may be getting a little predictable, but I think this series of 'ladies who are the loves of my life' is nearly over... Nearly. Although there are definitely some that I missed along the way, so maybe I'll backtrack later.


But for now!


Sigga is my awesome aunt, my mum's only sister and a fantastic source of advice, love and good times. She has a really dry sense of humor, which scared the crap out of me when I was little, because I just couldn't tell if she was making fun of me or not. So I used to cry a lot in her presence, but luckily I am over that now.




 Nowadays, she has become one of my best friends. I guess the turning point was when I stayed at her house in Germany in 2002. It was the first time we really had one on one time as adults, and she taught me lots about life - how you can't waste it doing only what other people want you to do. 


 


She was my stand-in mum in the lead up to the wedding, colonel of supportive shoulder for my real mum, chief in charge of worrying and sorting family feuds and president of sorting out houses and entertainment for the influx of folks!
Ross and I have taken advantage of her hospitality quite a few times over the last year - and I'm pretty sure lots of other people have, too! Good thing she is an amazing hostess who seems to enjoy people crashing at her house.




She now owns the lovely little house that my uncle was born in, and she has made it a  beautiful place to spend time, play board games and soak up the family history. I am so glad that she has found her home in Sauðárkrókur, and I'm really glad she lets me and Ross share it from time to time.
Happy birthday lovely!

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Happy Birthday Sigga, I am very much looking forward to having a belated celebratory drink to your good health in Dec. Enjoy your day.
X Vicki.

Northern musings said...

You know I am crying don´t you!!! Love you so much!

Anonymous said...

GREAT BLOG AND I AGREE, SIGGA IS VERY SPECIAL. And Sigga's house is our old house where we were brought up. Helgi was actually born at amma's house which used to my grandparents' house cos mum and dad lived with them when they first got married. Hope you guys are well and happy. Love Mum

Johanna said...

I also agree, Sigga is an awsome person and very special....
I love having her around and was very happy when she moved back to Saudarkrokur.... happy birthday again dear Sigga....