Monday, October 5, 2009

Kakapo!

Yeah!

That clip is from a BBC documentary based on a Douglas Adams book called Last chance to see. Stephen Fry is in it, he is hilarious and awesome, and why hadn't I heard of him until now? Seems like he's everywhere over here, though - writing books, hosting quiz shows, looking after endangered species...

What else has been going on? We played a show on Saturday night, it was pretty good but the sound was terrible! It was really really loud onstage, and I think the audience suffered a bit, too. I wore earplugs, but the other guys were all deaf on Sunday morning...

Apart from that, the show was uneventful... Okay, not really. Ross convinced me that I should make a confession:
Midway through the set, Andy was flailing about as usual, but on Joe's and my side of the stage instead of his side.
Anyway, he was stomping backwards, and it looked like he was going to stomp all the way onto my saxophone.
So I did what any one of you would have done: I kicked him in the back of the legs. Unfortunately, being Andy, he dropped dramatically to the ground, but on the way down I belted him with the headstock of my bass - I didn't mean to, he ran into it!

He's okay now though. In my defence, it's not nearly as much damage as he's inflicted on himself over the years... Wow, that defence makes me sound even more like a monster. What kind of human kicks little Andy? Me, that's who.

Anyway, violence aside, what else? Heath, our Australian manager, was over this weekend, he came to the show and then we had a catch up dinner last night. It was really awesome to see him, he had heaps of funny rock'n'roll stories, as usual. He's over with his money-making band, Karnivool (we are his 'in it for love' band). They play prog metal, which is not my cup of tea, but they're really nice dudes and really really successful in Australia. I think they're doing pretty well over here too.

I had a day off today, because there were only two studios booked. I think the whole of this week looks to be pretty quiet, which will be nice. Today Ross and I spent the day hanging out and not doing much - we watched a video and I made onion soup. Exactly what I want from a day off...

6 comments:

northern musings said...

Stephen Fry is my absolute absolute most favourite person - he and house... aka hugh laurie were in this series called geeves and wooster. They had been a comedy team like forever - both blackadder people. Another of my favourite films with him was Peter's friends. So glad you have discovered him - he is well worth discovering at any time in a persons life!!! Got an email from Vicki with the dates for Chrissy - so can´t wait!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Onion soup!!! Just add nails. Spring has arrived in Oz. Hang in there and look forward to a Chrissy Iceland.Love you lots. Mum and co

Maja said...

Oh my god that is too funny, picturing you kicking Andy on stage.. I'm sure the audience enjoyed the spectacle. They probably think you guys are mega rough.

I'm surprised you've never heard of Stephen Fry before.. he is great. I was surprised to see him in a few episodes of Bones, he really is everywhere. Then I saw him in a movie from the 80's...

That link was hilarious.

olga said...

Mum: Nails? There must be a joke in there that I'm missing... I hope.
Definitely looking forward to Christmas, it will be great to be back there!

Yeah, Maja, it's weird - I had definitely heard the name, but hadn't realised that he was totally awesome.

x

Northern musings said...

The nail reference - nagla súpa - Icelandic for the soup that you make from nothing, the one that you make last for weeks and weeks. In your mums case it was lentils - anytime she made anything with lentils it was on the menu for at least a week if not two (this was in Padbury days - when she and your dad were really really really broke)

olga said...

Thanks for the explanation, Sigga! We've been trying to be better at using up leftover things... Maybe I should invest in lentils before the end of the month!
x