Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Set the controls for the heart of the sun...

This is a photo that K took and left on our computer. I like it.



Also in the category of stuff that K left behind that I like: Kazuo Ishigiro's The Remains of the Day and LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver.


Hey so it is a bit lonely in Walthamstow, Ross is getting close to deadline in his work with Dmitri, so he stayed in Camberwell last night and is staying again tonight. Boo! It makes sense to stay because it takes him so long to travel, and I guess I am pretty okay with being alone for a little while.




Some friends of ours came over last night, they are a couple and were talking about being apart, and how they couldn't possibly do it. A situation arose where he has an incentive to go back to Perth pretty soon, but she was looking forward to travelling and enjoying England a bit more. Their general take was "Gosh, it's a bit of a bummer that she has to leave early" - there was no option for her not to go when he leaves... I don't know if it even occurred to her.

We saw some other friends on Saturday night, he's studying in Oxford and she's living here and working, but not really in any sort of career type job. They're going back to Perth for a few months over Christmas, and she mentioned that if she did stumble across a career type job in Perth, she would probably take it. The way she put it, obviously long distance sucks, but they've done it before and could do it again if they had to.

It's funny when life gives you such obviously contrasting stories. Makes me feel like I'm in a movie or motivational video or something. I'm waiting for everything to pause, then a voiceover and accompanying text will say
"WHAT WOULD YOU DO?"

I don't think I would want to miss out on opportunities because I had to go wherever Ross went, and I wouldn't want him to miss out on anything for me. There are worse things than being lonely from time to time, and I feel like we could catch up once we were finally together again.





In other news, our neighbours are WEIRD. There's one dude whose lounge room window directly faces our kitchen window, and we've had some dealings with him that have led to him being nicknamed Phil Collins*. Anyway, all night he's been really agitated and shouty. After I had a shower, I noticed the kitchen window was open and I went to close it and I swear he was NUDE at his window! I backed off really quick and went upstairs, but I could still hear him muttering to himself. Nut-ter.




Oh yeah, I should explain these pictures. It was a wedding gift from some of Ross' friends, one of those crystal garden things. They are amazing and great, and everyone should get one.


* I wasn't around for it, but apparently Joe and Ross and Daisy were sitting in the kitchen listening to music, and all of a sudden he started blaring Phil Collins really loud. They looked out the window, and he stood there for a second before shouting "I HATE YOU".
Joe paused for a second, then said "I don't hate you".
Another pause, then the dude gives them all a thumbs up and a big cheesy grin.
Phil Collins, man. He is nuts.

5 comments:

northern musings said...

Considering the fact that Ross and You went in different directions after the wedding it is not surprising that you think that neither of you would expect the other to "follow" wherever and for one to miss out on an opportunity because of the other one. Shows how sensible and mature you are and also how solidly grounded in trust your relationship is. PS I love that chrystal garden - so nice

Maja said...

You get used to spending time apart from your partner but sometimes it really really sucks. The trick is too keep in touch daily, I think. I speak to JJ on the phone every day we spend apart, quite often twice or more a day. We are both really looking forward to a time when we will both be living in the same place together all the time. It is the light at the end of the tunnel for us.

It can be very easy to grow apart if you don't stay in touch all the time. And it becomes easier for insecurities and other problems to arise without constant contact.

I think life is too short to have to spend it apart from your loved ones too much. There has to be a balance between doing whatever you want and being with the people you love.

Maja said...

PS I really like your hair style at the moment!

olga said...

Hmm, good points on both sides. Diff'rent strokes, yo.

Also Maja, that photo is kinda old, but I do like the super side fringe!
x

Northern musings said...

We are the ying and yang in the Jonsson family, we´ll change our minds as soon as I am in a relationship and Maja isn´t... it´s all a part of our ratification of our current life style... But really you and Ross do seem to have a really good basis of trust and friendship that most never attain. Neither of you seems to feel threatened by the other or other people intruding into your lives. But that´s only my observation and i may be super wrong