Friday, June 5, 2009

Everything's just wonderful...



Ah, I totally took that title from a Lily Allen song - do you think we can still be friends? I guess there were other options that mean the same thing... Everything's gonna be alright (P.P. Arnold), Everything is alright (Four tet), Everything must converge (But I'm sure he means it in a good way? Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds)... But I'm sticking with my choice, so there.

Whoa, so I have been hanging out with K lots and lots this week, and it has been awesome. He is over for the wedding, but also over for his birthday and some general catching up.

Highlight of the week was definitely karaoke on Tuesday night! It ended up nearly everyone who's sleeping in our house at the moment (there's quite a few of us), although not everyone sang... Well, not everyone sang on their own, there are certain songs (Livin' on a Prayer, Gangsta's Paradise) that are impossible to stay quiet for...
So yeah, the new event of choice for anyone coming to visit me will be karaoke! You've been warned...

What else have we done? K and I went to the Wellcome museum in Euston, it was pretty amazing. There are two exhibitions on at the moment about art and madness, and they are both pretty interesting. One was called Madness and Modernity, it was about art and architecture in Vienna during the early 20th century... Apparently they were 'nervous times' - it was pretty hip to be kind of neurotic and hysterical, and to go and stay at a luxury sanitarium (sanitorium? Is there a difference?) for a little while.
The other exhibition was some diary drawings and watercolours that this artist Bobby Baker did during her 9 year descent into schizophrenic madness. It is pretty impressive, early on she made a strict rule to do one diary entry a day, and they're all quite finished and interesting. Hmm, my description is not doing it justice, but it was rad, I promise.

Apart from that? Oooh, we went to see Dan Deacon yesterday, it was amazing! I had never heard of him up until now, and K had only heard that he puts on incredible live shows, so it was all pretty exciting and surprising. It was like a cross between Animal Collective and Boredoms - really loud and intense musical build ups with vocals over the top. There were about 11 or 12 people on stage - 3 of them drummers! - and it was just really moving. The guy himself, Dan Deacon, was just a regular looking guy, but he was so charismatic and positive, he had the audience eating out of his hand. He started all kinds of awesome audience interaction, but again, I don't think I'm going to do it justice. If you EVER get a chance to see this guy, do it! Best £11 I ever spent.

Also, hi mum! She gets worried when I don't post, and also I think she was getting really really sick of that weird picture that was the most recent post. I'm going to try to keep on top of it while we're on tour with the Drones next week, I promise!

Today I think K and I are going to go to Brick Lane and do Curry: round 2. We had one on Sunday, but the service was so appalling that it kind of ruined the meal. Seriously, I expect waiters to be a little bit rude here, but this guy wasn't just indifferent to us, he loathed us. Nah, probably not, but he was not very friendly at all.
Anyway, we'll have curry, maybe with K's friend from Perth, and maybe I'll find some accessories for my wedding dress - I really do need to get that stuff sorted.... Less than a month to go!

1 comment:

Northern musings said...

I am sure I commented on this earlier... strange, anywho, tis good, that life is good.