Sunday, May 17, 2009

Okay, momentum back...

So I had an awesome day yesterday - maybe I just need to be a weekend blogger so I can mostly talk about the good stuff instead of the work stuff. Or I could just write about both, it's all entertaining, right?

Anyway, yesterday Ross and I went to see Synecdoche, New York, it was pretty confusing and awesome. It's written and directed by Charlie Kaufman, who did all those other awesome and confusing movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Adaptation and Being John Malkovich. It's weird, I can't really explain the plot of any of those movies, but I still feel like I got a lot out of it. He just seems like a guy whose brain is completely sideways in relation to mine - he sees things from a completely different point of view... I'd say maybe a 90 degree rotation or so.

After that we went into a bar to sneakily use their toilets, but they were playing the Eurovision song contest, so we stayed for a while and made fun of Greece and secretly enjoyed Moldova. Good times. We had to leave when some DJ started playing all this bad RnB (or maybe it was good RnB, but I did not enjoy it either way), but then on the way home we went to an off-licence and they were watching the voting - and Iceland didn't give their 12 points to Denmark. What? Weird! Is that a result of the new voting system, or is Iceland just not friends with Denmark any more? Oooh, maybe the repercussions of this financial thing are far reaching.
Anyway, go Iceland, they came second! That's pretty much the ideal result you can get from Eurovision - you get the glory of almost winning, but you don't have to host it next year...

So what else was I going to talk about? Hmm, thoughts of song contests have driven it all out of my mind... We are playing a show next week with the Drones, they are amazing and you will love them. It'll be great to play again, it's been ages...

3 comments:

Northern musings said...

Yay Iceland... Denmark was just crap why have a Ronan Keating look alike singing a Ronan Keating song! When you have cute Alex from Norway, we won´t mention the fact that he is as Norwegian as I am Australian. Anyway - you can imagine today in Iceland... all day on the TV was Eurovision, they also did a big welcome home in mid town Reykjavik for Johanna and the crew. You know that the Icelandic co-writer of the song is from Skagafjörður?? Well now you do. So not only did Iceland "win" it was Skagafjörður that really "won". Ah I do love the nationalism and parochialism that takes place - we are all so proud - and there was no mention of recession in todays news!! Also the weather has been really really great. I mowed the lawn (and mums). Had to spend today in bed to recover (well not all of it as the sun was shining today too). Love that life is good and internet shopping is the only way to go!

Anonymous said...

Check your email. Love you lots and lots. Mum

olga said...

I'm glad they were voting more for songs than anything else. It was quite amazing how emotionally involved I managed to get... What a weird thing - it's a bit special.
Aw, I hope the sun stays out til july!

Thank you mum! Can't wait to see you both soon!
x