Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Home used to just mean one place...

Y'know? I kept getting confused on the flights back to London. I couldn't remember where I was headed, so sometimes I'd wake up and think "Gosh, I can't wait to see Mum and Dad again", when in fact I was headed in completely the opposite direction (Also, yes, I did actually say Gosh. Try it, it's fun.)

And Kristinn pointed out that usually when you see a plane in the air, you go "man, I wish I was going somewhere on a plane". Well, I usually do, anyway. But I don't think he was really looking forward to leaving, and I didn't really want to, either.

London doesn't really have much to offer in the way of homely appeal. It's kinda grey and busy and cold. The only thing London had going for it was Ross - good thing he didn't come with me, or I would never have left.

Then I think about Iceland... While we were there at Christmas I was so happy to have an amazing place to go. Sauðárkrókur is welcoming, and beautiful, and full of my welcoming beautiful family.

I guess some people don't crave homely appeal as much as I seem to. You know, lots of people seem to seek challenge and adventure. I am not that kind of person - I think I honestly prefer it when things are easy... 'Oh no, Olga!' you say, 'Remember how awesome you feel when you overcome some hardship and succeed against all odds!'

To that I say 'But remember how awesome it feels when you get to sleep in, then go out for coffee with a friend, then play with a dog, then take a nice photo of you and your sister, then go and see some girls play acoustic guitar and sing beautiful harmonies.' Unchallenging things can be pretty rad, too.

I don't mean to be complainy - my life is pretty unchallenging at the moment, and I'm sure even if it was, I could and would deal with it to the best of my ability.



Driven to the airport, yeah...

2 comments:

Maja said...

I like it when things are easy. I tend to do nothing in the face of challenge. Except try to make things easier.

northern musings said...

Ah sweety - how I understand you... Home is truely where you feel most relaxed and life is easy... you will surprise yourself when suddenly London will also start to take on some homey aspects as well and sometime in the future the London days will be the halcion days... Life is good and I can´t wait to see you!!!