Saturday, December 6, 2008

Weekend!

I woke up at one o'clock in the afternoon today! It was a long overdue sleep-in, and it was awesome...

Except that I just had breakfast, so I'm missing out on Ross' yummy lunch of steak sandwiches with fried capsicum, onion and tomatoes, with jarlsberg and seeded mustard. They're very impressive sandwiches.

Ross just burnt himself on the pan though, we have a pan with metal handle and it heats up as you're cooking! What is the point of that? Is it really bad design, or is there some really good reason for why you'd want a searing hot piece of metal as the handle? He said the pain was worth it though, the sandwich was as good as it looked.

Speaking of awesome sandwiches, we went to the Brick Lane markets last Sunday with Anja, and had some amazing Argentinian rolls from a guy on the street (by which I mean a street vendor, not a hobo). They were great, you could get steak, sausage or portobello mushroom , and they came with cheese and rocket and an amazing herb sauce.

Also, the markets themselves were pretty cool, I may have to go back there tomorrow and buy some cool things! There were lots of crafty stalls selling homemade jewelry and clothes, and some really nice food places. And because it's getting colder, they had mulled wine and hot apple cider, too. Very nice.
I can't wait to have money again! Finally getting paid next weekend, and it's about time! I need to start getting Christmas presents organised...

Oh yeah, and in my advent calendar today, my chocolate was shaped like a boot filled with presents! It was probably supposed to be a stocking, but it reminded me of the Icelandic christmas lads... I wonder if Ross would put presents in my shoes if I started leaving them in the window sill. May have to drop some hints - actually, he's reading over my shoulder right now, so if that isn't a hint, I don't know what is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That argentinian sandwich was truely one of the best I've ever had in my life! Wish I was there though to also try Ross's... x Anja.

olga said...

Ross certainly paid a high price for his awesome sandwich...
I'm glad someone can back me up on that Argentinian place, it was amazing!
x

Anna said...

I think "Getting really excited about sandwiches" is a wonderful trait. i have recently been having salami and beetroot sandwiches with butter, which is an obnoxious amount of fun.

olga said...

That sounds so insane that it must be good... Or you must be insane.
x

Northern musings said...

Maybe Ross can make sandwiches here in Iceland.... full of christmas left overs, smoked lamb and beetroot..

boldaslove said...

My fiance is a chef, and he like pans that are all metal including the handle because he can seal the meat then put the whole thing into the oven. You should be proud you have a gourmet pan, even if it makes it pretty easy to burn yourself...