Monday, December 29, 2008

Time just blurs together on holidays...

I'm sure we've done many things over the past few days, just need to remember and order them all...

So we went to see some choirs the other night, and I had way more fun than I thought I would! There was one called Kammerkór, which was awesome and made up almost 50% by my relatives. They sang Christmas and New Year's songs from all around the world (but all with Icelandic lyrics), and it was really interesting to hear the contrasts... The Icelandic carols seem to tend towards the dramatic and dark. For example, they sang to the tune of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - la la, all happy and poppy. This was followed by an Icelandic one that might be called Jólasveinar gang' um gólf*, which was great. It's got a really interesting melody, Italicand they did these amazing harmonies with it too. It's pretty neat.

*Hmm, I just tried to find it on YouTube, but couldn't. May have to buy a Christmas CD - I guess they'd all be on special now!

What else? Yesterday we went out to Tunga and played whist with my great-uncle Þóri. He runs the farm with my great-uncle Andrés, but whereas Andrés has a house in town, Þóri just lives up at Tunga all year round. I imagine it could get a little lonely up there, but he seems pretty happy - I think he likes the quiet. He reads a lot, and every once in a while people like us invade his house, drink his coffee and make him teach us to play cards! Amma taught us the rules for real whist, which is apparently different from the félags-whist we played when we were kids... It seems to involve more cheating (by talking about your cards and strong suits) and more opportunities for gambling! Good times.

Today the priest came over to Amma's house for coffee and to talk about my Christening.
Yes. Christening. Some backstory: I was raised Baptist, where they dedicate you to the church when you're a baby, but there's no water involved until you choose to be Baptised (hence the name). The church here is Lutheran - to be married here, I have to be Christened.
Luckily, the priest here has kindly agreed to come round to Sigga's house tomorrow night to do it for me! It's a bit of a weird situation, but I feel much better about it having talked to the priest. She seems really nice and laid-back. Also, she'll be the priest that marries us in summer, so I'm really glad to get to know her a bit...

So anyway, tomorrow is my birthday! And also the day of my Christening (I'm not sure whether that word needs a capital, so I'm erring on the side of caution)! And also, I think we'll go out and buy some fireworks for New Year's!
And finally, they're forecasting snow for tomorrow evening! Yay!

Wow, too much excitement and therefore exclamation marks. I'll cut back in the future maybe...

10 comments:

Vicki said...

Olga Happy birthday and goodluck for the Christening with a capital C.
Is the priest happy to marry you and Ross even if Ross is not Lutheran? Do you both need to attend marriage classes or go to church regularly???
Have a happy day tomorrow.
X Vicki.

Maja said...

Wow, you're getting Christened and you're getting married in the church.. that's interesting!

I love that Jolasveina gang' um golf song, it's awesome!

Maja said...

Hey, and Happy Birthday!

geezer squeezer! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Northern musings said...

Happy Birthday Olga!!!! It´s snowing here at Holar!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR OLGA! And also Happy Christening!
That sound so exciting, what a special day! x -anja

geezer squeezer! said...

.

geezer squeezer! said...

hurray for you my love, BAPPY HERFDAY! love uncle xoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

We were raised with religion?

So, what does that song title mean?

- Anna

olga said...

Thank you birthday wishie type people!

Anna: I was in Girls' Brigade and everything! And the song means 'Yule Lads walk the floor'... slightly bizarre!