Saturday, September 20, 2008

Museums and birds...

Ross and I did some educational sightseeing on thursday, we saw some art and some history. They were all pretty interesting, but you're not really allowed to take photos, so I don't have any. Instead, I have photos of birds!



This picture is Ross' 'wildlife shot'. These guys are in the Tjörn (pond) outside city hall. There were signs saying that you were allowed to feed them for most of the year, but not during summer. That's when the babies need to develop foraging skills, which you can't do while someone's throwing bread at your head.



This one is my 'scaring-the-bejeezus-out-of-wildlife shot'. Look closely, my feet aren't even touching the ground!



I lied, there are museum photos. This is in the National Museum, or Þjóðminjasafnið, where there's a hands-on bit to keep your children amused while you do grown up things...



Ross and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We went shopping the day before the museums, and Ross bought some Föðurland, or Fatherlands. Want to take a guess as to what those are?











Yep, it's my new favourite Icelandic word - your fatherlands are your long johns. Awesome. According to this picture, they also give you crazy eye and an accidental halo.



And just so we don't have to end on that note, we went to visit my great-aunt Dísa yesterday. She took us to another museum (The Saga Museum at Perlan, which I thoroughly recommend and might post photos of later), and then we drove around town for a bit. She took us to this hill, where my great-grandmother had a house after she left my great-grandfather. She planted that pine tree and it's now about 50 years old.