Friday, September 12, 2008

Horse riding and crayons...

Before I start, I need to apologise in advance for my lack of coherence - I finally saw the film clip for 'Boys (Summertime love)' by Sabrina... It's the origin of Boys Boys Boys' band name, but I'd never seen it before. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't what I saw. I'm a little shaken, but I'll try to make it through the post.

ANYWAY! Ross and I went horse riding with my great-uncle Andrés today, partly to find some sheep, partly so that Andrés could reassure himself that we were ready to go on seinni göngur tomorrow. I think we did pretty well, given that it's been about four years since I was on horseback, and Ross has never been on a horse before. Neither of us fell off, and both of us are still able to walk, so we're all ready for a day-long ride through the mountains!




Ross is a natural at horse riding just like everything else, I think he might be a born farmer... Maybe. We rode along Skarðsá, which is the river that runs next to Tunga and through the valley. The view was beautiful for the whole trip, lots of mountains and autumn colours.

I wish I had taken more photos, but to be honest I was terrified for a lot of the trip - the hills along the river are fairly steep and the path that we were riding on was a sheep road, meaning that it's about 30cm wide. The hill itself was made up of lots of really unstable pointy little rocks (is that what shale is?), so if you fell of the horse, you'd keep falling... But we didn't, so it's all good.





While we were riding, Andrés spotted some of his sheep across the valley, and decided to go chase them, so we got all arty and took photos of the ponies. Ross loves ponies and black and white photos.



Also, I bought some crayons. Everyone should get some.


And we had whale for dinner last night. It was actually really nice, although not as nice as the foal we ate the night before. I felt kind of bad, but really, ponies aren't any cuter than lambs or cows, and I eat them all the time.
The whale, I can't really justify. But when in Rome...

3 comments:

Maja said...

Great photos, though!

I have crayons! I accidentally stole them from Big W when I went shopping with Jason when I first came back from Iceland. I just walked right out with them in my hand without realising. And no one noticed.

I'm not a big fan of the whale... bit too cod liver oily flavoursome for me, reminds me of eating liver.

Overboard said...

Ah ha! Another blog by the most prolific blogging Icelandic extended family that I know.

I'm not a big fan of....word verification.....
evil roar.
I'll be following you guys.
Thanks for the link, Maja.
Uh, now to trawl through the reallllly long word verification word....kshka;ldkfjklajsdfjfjaldkjfksadjfklsjfklsdfjadslkfjskaldfjsdjfasdkfjasdkfjwoieqiweriwuruw2eirnvnsxmakcdlsmjdklsamdkmsxcmkashjfahfuadfkadfadshjfasdhf

sigh

Kristinn said...

Haha! I love that whale eating picture.